Today is the first day of school--finally. It seems like forever ago that we bought school supplies. Natalie was all over getting supplies and putting them all in her backpack, and Eric's. She offered to do the same for her big brothers, but they didn't want her to. Last night, they decided that it would be a good idea to at least get some paper and some writing utensils for their first day at school. The supply lists are different for the middle and high schools.
Eric used his brand-new dinosaur backpack, and he picked out a sleeveless dinosaur shirt. We realized this morning that he might get cold in the over-airconditioned classrooms, so we also packed a jacket in his backpack for him. The sun wasn't quite up when I was trying to take photos of Natalie and Eric, but I had to get those out of the way in plenty of time to catch the bus at a little after 7am.
I got up at 5am to make the requested first day of school breakfast--red velvet waffles and turkey bacon. I don't know if the boys cared that much, but Natalie was the vocal one, as usual, so we went with her choice. I was a little ahead of schedule and I had five plates of waffles out with chocolate chips on them already by the time Eric came downstairs already dressed. Patrick got Natalie and Eric up at around 6:10am. Alex was already up and getting dressed, although he was obviously not really awake. Anthony has been sleeping in Natalie's bottom bunk with my parents here visiting, and he got up at around 6:45ish. He's used to getting up earlier for cross-country practice, but he didn't have practice this morning.
This is one of my favorite pictures from today. I love how my parents came for a visit and stayed just to see Eric off on his first day of school. Patrick grabbed Eric's hand to cross the street and Eric automatically grabbed Lola's hand. She loved it. Natalie went ahead of them--she was rushing to make sure they made it to the bus stop in time. She's always afraid of missing the bus, maybe because she and Alex missed the bus a couple of times when they were both taking the bus--because of her.
We were only at the bus stop for a couple of minutes before we saw the bus driving down the street towards us. We think the bus driver was actually a little ahead of schedule (7:03 instead of the scheduled 7:04am). Natalie dutifully grabbed her brother's hand and helped him onto the school bus for the first time, then sat with him in the front seat behind the bus driver. I heard someone call her from farther back in the bus. I hope she doesn't mind sitting with her brother instead of her friends.
I took some photos of the big boys as well and posted them elsewhere on Facebook. I had to do a little bit of begging for Alex, but they both cooperated pretty well. Alex's carpool is breaking down a bit, since the other boy in the carpool has after school football practice. Still, it will be nice for Patrick to get a break some mornings when they take Alex to school, since Anthony will have to be at school by 6:30am for cross-country practice. That means a potential two trips out that way for Patrick every morning.
This afternoon, I'll be picking up the little ones from school so Natalie can go to piano. I'll have to get pictures of Eric getting off the bus in the afternoon on another day. I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!




No comments:
Post a Comment