Saturday, October 05, 2013

CSI: The Experience

We went to the new exhibit at the Witte Museum today, called CSI: The Experience. Here's the description from the museum website:

"Can YOU crack the case?

You’ve seen the award-winning television drama. Now it’s your turn to crack the case!

Created in cooperation with the hit CBS franchise, "Crime Scene Investigation," this exhibition lets you step into the world of cutting-edge forensic science and investigative techniques. Examine the evidence then solve the crime!

Imagine entering a crime scene and being the one responsible for noticing and collecting every trace of evidence. The pressure is on: you know the analysis of your evidence must be scientifically sound to crack the case. From DNA and firearms analysis to forensic anthropology and toxicology, visitors will be immersed in hands-on science in an exciting multi-media environment with dazzling special effects direct from the CSI TV series.

-Examine "crime" scenes to identify and record evidence

-Enter the "laboratories" to conduct scientific testing

-Visit the "autopsy" rooms for pathology analysis

-Report to the "office" to build a case, based on the scientific evidence"

Doesn't that sound cool? The first photo is of Eric looking through a microscope during one of the "members only activities" only available during the opening weekend, which is this weekend. He is looking at some fibers "from the crime scene" to see if it matches some sample pieces of cloth. There was also a fingerprinting section but he didn't seem that interested in that.

The exhibit itself had three separate "crime scenes" and you follow the cases through from the evidence gathering to the analysis and then conclusions. We picked Crime Scene #3 only because the sign was in the color red. I'll give you one guess as to which child picked that color. Eric seemed very interested. They had computer stations that were interactive and he wanted me to read everything. We'll have to go back when it isn't so crowded, so we can do one of the other crime scenes.

Natalie brought her friend Margot and they looked like they had fun, but they seemed indifferent, for the most part. They did each station then rushed off to play in the HEB Treehouse that is a permanent exhibit at the museum. We discovered them making this structure out of wooden blocks. Natalie only posed for a picture because Margot wanted a picture taken. Eric is always good for the camera.

Eric also played on this big grid on the floor that had flashing lights on it. There were games you could play like "dodgeball" where you had to avoid stepping on the colored lights. He enjoyed that for a while with three other boys. He also played on one of the computers where you could learn how to dig up dinosaur fossils. The last thing he wanted to do was the rock climbing wall.

He had to put on this safety harness so he could get strapped onto the rope. He cracks me up sometimes--in this picture he is waiting for his turn. I asked him to step forward so I could get the climbing wall in the background for a picture. For some reason, he decided to look at me over his shoulder instead of just turning around. I took a video of him actually climbing. He got up about 10 feet or so before deciding that was high enough. He didn't look scared or anything, he just seemed like he didn't want to try anymore. He got to go up twice and then he was done and ready to go.

We picked up some Sonic for lunch then headed home. Patrick and I are getting really tired of eating out. I feel like I'm gaining a lot of weight. I haven't been updating the blog with pictures of the kitchen because pretty much nothing happened this week. I'll describe more in an update in the next couple of days. Meanwhile, Natalie's first swim meet of the season is tomorrow. I'll have pictures on the blog in a day or two.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I would LOVE that CSI exhibit! So cool.