Friday, October 11, 2013

Finally...Some Work Is Done

I haven't been posting update photos of our kitchen remodel because there hasn't been anything going on. They really only worked a couple of days last week. They did some more stuff to the shower area to convert it from the bathtub and they completely took apart the kitchen island. I want some drawers instead of cabinets in the kitchen island to help me organize my bakeware and other pots and pans more easily. I also wanted it all one level instead of having the raised bar area, to give me as much counter space as possible.

Notice the dryer in the breakfast area. That means we're on week three of not having a washer and dryer--definitely more inconvenient than not having a kitchen. I had planned on not having the kitchen but I hadn't anticipated the lack of a washer and dryer.

On Friday of last week (Oct. 4), the painters came. They were supposed to show up in the morning, but they didn't show up until around 1pm. Then, the paint they had wasn't covering the old paint, even after three coats. Notice the paint colors on the side at the bottom of this window. That's the old paint color--a dark blue red. The new paint is a brighter and slightly more orange red. The painters came back this week, but not until Wednesday. No one came on Monday or Tuesday.

They painted the kitchen and the laundry room. The laundry room is the same golden color as the bathroom will be. They haven't painted the bathroom yet. All they did in there was take off the light fixture above the bathroom mirror and apply texture to the wall.

I took this picture today. After working yesterday and today, they pretty much finished the tile in the kitchen and laundry room. The laundry room has only the plain big tiles and not the smaller charcoal tiles that are in the kitchen. They still have to add the grout and do the tile work in the bathroom. I'm just happy to be able to see some work actually getting done.


The family seems to be holding up okay. I'm worried that I'll gain a bunch of weight from all of this eating out and I'm looking forward to visiting my mom this weekend and getting some of her delicious home-cooked food. The kids enjoy eating out, so they haven't really complained about that.

Eric here is trying to weave his big car in between the furniture in our tiny living room. I'm also testing out my new camera. I finally figured out how to change the settings on it and how to get the pictures off the camera and into the computer. Eric will be busy starting next week (and so will we). He will be starting both soccer (with practices on Tuesdays with games on Saturdays) and piano lessons (on Thursdays). Our weekends will be busy again. We've been planning on soccer and piano for Eric since school began and we finally signed him up. It's ironic that when this kitchen remodel is finally finished, we'll be busy and won't even get to spend much time in it.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Remodeling is always a sloooooooow process. Hang in there!