Patrick and I have not been in the habit of buying each other gifts for our birthday for quite a few years. The reason is usually that we know what we want and we buy it ourselves. For me, I'm usually very specific about what I want and it's easier to get it myself rather than risk getting something I don't want. Still, it's nice to be able to open something on our special day. I don't necessarily set out to buy birthday presents for Patrick, but if I see stuff I think he'll like, I'll buy them.
This year we had the additional "problem" that Anthony wasn't with us on Patrick's birthday for the first time. I was pretty happy with the gifts I got for Patrick, so I wanted Anthony to share in the fun of watching Patrick's face when he opened the gifts. We got Anthony on Skype. I took this first picture when Patrick opened the first present. This was a gadget that Natalie and I first saw at the Hallmark store in July when we were in Corpus Christi for the A Championships. It's a button that you press and there is a recorded voice that has different ways of saying "NO!" All of them are quite emphatic. Patrick LOVED it! He laughed so hard and so did the kids every time he pressed that button and heard the "NO!" Even the kids couldn't keep their hands off it. Patrick said that he would really enjoy using that button every time one of the kids asks for something. :)
This is the collection of gifts that Patrick received for his birthday. Natalie and I picked up the Doctor Who T-shirt and bookmark when we were at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago. They had a big table with different Doctor Who themed books and other gifts. Patrick always remarks on how many comments he receives on all of his Doctor Who shirts. He's been a fan for years but it seems like nowadays there are lots more fans. Even Natalie's eleven-year-old friend Ally says she loves Doctor Who.
The Doctor Who ornament was encased in bubble wrap and it took Patrick a few minutes with some scissors to free the box. Since this year was the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who, celebrated with an international TV special and everything, I felt like it was the year to get Patrick a Doctor Who ornament. It's glass so I hope nothing will happen to it. The kids and I pick out ornaments every year, but Patrick hasn't picked his own ornament for the tree before, so this is a first.
The kids actually cooperated with this photo, I couldn't believe it. I'm sad that Anthony isn't in the photo, but I know he is there in spirit. He'll be here in person in TWELVE DAYS!!!



2 comments:
That's a GREAT photo of Patrick and the kids! (minus Anthony :( )
vry fun gifts!!!!
Post a Comment