Saturday, January 18, 2014

Commitment Core Value Award

This past Monday or Tuesday, I was driving Alex home and he said that he needed to be at school early on Wednesday (Jan. 15) for "some little awards ceremony" and that we didn't need to go. I started thinking of what awards ceremony that we might have attended with Anthony at this time of year. I asked Alex, "You mean the Core Value Awards?" Anthony always got his in the last quarter of the year, so Alex getting it after the second quarter threw me off. Alex of course doesn't understand that we will always try to go to any awards ceremony where he receives an award. Luckily, I was already scheduled to be off work on Wednesday for Eric's monthly Art a la Carte class, so I was happy about the timing.

At Alex's magnet school, they have four "Core Values", which are Perseverance, Integrity, Commitment, and Kindness. Each quarter, the teachers pick one student that they feel demonstrates each core value. The student can't get more than one award for each core value and they can only get one award per year. A few students get all four core value awards--Anthony did.

They had the ceremony in the same classroom that they've had it in for the past four years. They have a breakfast spread to one side with pastries, cake, coffee, and juice. The parents get to sit in the chairs and the students all have to stand up in the back of the room and on the sides. The room itself has stairs so that the back is higher than the front--for easier viewing. I elected to stand this year instead of sit, so Patrick and I both were able to stand next to Alex.

The mystery is always which teacher picked him and for what award. Alex strictly forbade me to take any photos, and especially no photos with his teacher. Sigh. Alex's teacher for Web Design, Mr. V gave him the "Commitment" core value award. In the past, Anthony would allow me to take a picture with his teacher after the ceremony. This year I had to get more creative. I took a picture of the little certificate that Alex got as well as the pin. I realized that I have never actually taken a picture of the pins before. Patrick and I always get a pin also, with just the school name and symbol on it, not the core value award. I think Anthony put his on his backpack or something like that. I have no idea where Alex is putting his pin.

After Alex left to go meet his friends before school, Patrick and I went up to his teacher to say hello and to thank him for recognizing Alex. We've met him before, of course, when he was Anthony's teacher. He told us that he picked Alex for this award not only because Alex is doing well in his class, but he showed extra effort and commitment in coming in after school to work on projects plus Alex also worked on those projects at home. Alex had a 100 in the Web Design class for the first semester, apparently one of only five students who have ever been able to do that. Patrick doesn't think Anthony was one of them.

Alex has said that his goal is to get better grades than Anthony. He seems to be well on his way.

1 comment:

Jules said...

That is so awesome!!!! Congrats to him.