Sunday, October 04, 2015

I'm Alive

I'm alive, really I am. Last month wasn't really busy so much, but I was preoccupied with two lectures I had to give. One was for the residents, and the other was for the Anesthesia techs at Wilford Hall Medical Center (otherwise now known as San Antonio Military Medical Center South). We haven't been too busy because Natalie's back is hurting again, so she hasn't been going to practice, and even before that she wasn't going often or very long at each practice. Eric is the one that has been busy. He's been going to Jiu Jitsu class three times a week. Alex has been busy too, he has been staying after school for PSAT classes and studying.

This first picture is very blurry--don't feel like you have to adjust your monitor. I was out running this morning, and the weather and sky were just beautiful, so I stopped for a second and snapped a photo with my phone. I guess I didn't stop long enough because the picture is blurry. I decided to use it for my blog post anyway.

Finally the weather is cooler here in San Antonio. This morning it was in the low 70s. It is a whole lot easier to exercise outside when it's cool. A couple or so Fridays ago, I tried running after getting home from work. It was around 5pm and it was 97 degrees outside. I had to resort to walking because I was getting so hot.

Patrick and I have been on an exercise kick since May when we both got our fitness trackers. I took it a little further by also starting to run. I started running a minute for every five minutes walking or so, and gradually increased it. I still don't run more than 10 minutes or so without walking, but I'm proud to say that I can run 3 miles now in a little over 30 minutes, or at least that's what I did this morning. I also don't try to run every day, but when I don't run, I usually take a brisk walk of at least 30 minutes. Patrick is my pace setter because he walks fast enough that he probably walks faster than some people jog. There are some days when that walk didn't happen until 8pm, but I still managed to fit it in. When I was on 24 hour call at the hospital, I walked around the hospital.

I have also been using the My Fitness Pal app on my phone to keep track of what I eat. I'm still amazed, but I've been able to lose about 15 pounds since May by exercising every day and watching what I eat. This has to be sustainable for me for the long term, so no fad diets or food that is different from what I ate before. I definitely don't snack as much (my big weakness) but I do indulge occasionally. I was so happy when I got to the weight I was before Alex was born, and now I might actually get down to the weight I was before Anthony was born. I'm definitely alive and feeling good about myself. I'll also be posting more this month!

1 comment:

Jules said...

Good for you!