Saturday, November 28, 2015

Friday Day Six Italy

On Friday we visited the Colosseum. It wasn't supposed to rain and the day started out partly sunny. Later, more clouds rolled in and a few raindrops fell, but not really enough to notice. We were glad that we did the indoor stuff yesterday when it was drizzly for most of the day.

I took this first photo from the top of Palatine Hill, where the emperors used to have their palaces. You can see why, as the view is spectacular, even on a cloudy day. There's a good view of the Forum in the foreground and the Colosseum in the background. We had to trek quite a ways to get to the top of the hill, as it wasn't clearly marked and there were staircases that were closed off for "safety". Alex was looking for spectacular views and really pushed for us to walk to the top, even when Anthony said he was tired and hungry and just wanted to find somewhere to eat and to go back to the hotel.

Our day actually began at the Colosseum first. There was a long line to get tickets and maybe we should have bought the tickets online, because that line to get in was much shorter. It wasn't too bad, though, and we even found out that anyone under 18 years old gets in free. We've been bringing Alex's passport everywhere here, because they still actually count him as a "child" because of his age, and we anticipated that no one would believe he was only 16 just by looking at him.

Alex took this photo for me, and Patrick and I noticed that he started smiling while he was taking the picture. We realized later that not only did Anthony photobomb us, but he was getting closer with each photo--because Alex and Anthony never take just one photo. I'm going to miss Anthony after this trip, but I am also going to miss the boys interacting with each other. They are really fun to be around.

Alex didn't want to pose for many photos, but thankfully, he posed for this one. I love this photo with my boys with the Colosseum in the background. I took many, many more photos, but I thought I would just do a few photos on this blog post. Most of the photos I took were of architecture that I thought was interesting or "pretty", and not necessarily historically significant in any way. What I've loved about our visit to Italy has been seeing the architecture and how they've laid out the cities.

This is a shorter post today because the Wifi at this hotel really sucks and it takes all night to upload photos. Anthony took a train back to Venice this evening after we had one last dinner together. We have a 6:45am flight out of Rome tomorrow morning. I'll be publishing all of these blog posts when we get home so it'll almost be like being with us during our trip. :)

No comments: