Saturday, July 14, 2007

Impromptu Beach Trip

DH and I are planners. We decide to do something only after much research and planning. This week, we decided that, since I had Friday and the weekend off from work, we would go to the beach about three hours from here. To be more exact, DH made the hotel reservation on Wednesday for Friday night. Actually, he tried to make a reservation for Thursday night, but he couldn't find a hotel that we wanted to stay at that had rooms left. So we left yesterday after 11AM and got back this evening.

Yesterday we got there in time to check into the hotel first. We didn't know exactly where to go to find a beach, so we just started driving and looking for signs. Once we got to one beach, we were able to drive right up. It was very windy but it was around 4PM so it wasn't too hot or too sunny. Still, we were able to lift up the back hatch on the van and leave DS#3 there in his carseat for most of the time (he was sleeping). The kids had so much fun making sand "castles" that they barely went into the water. They also wanted to go back to the beach today instead of visiting some of the tourist type spots we had planned.

Today, we stopped at the Visitor's Information Center and got directions to a beach that had restrooms and showers. It was very sunny and hot, but there was still a nice breeze. Shielding DS#3 from the sun was a bit more challenging, since we didn't bring any kind of umbrella or covering and we weren't able to drive right up at this beach. Luckily, he again slept for most of the time. I had to hold him wrapped in a towel to shield him from the sun. The price was that I didn't really participate in any of the sandcastle building this time. I just watched. It was very relaxing to watch my family play and interact with each other, however. All in all, it was a very disorganized and stressful trip, but we all had fun in the end.

I don't have time to post photos tonight, but I'll try to post some tomorrow!

No comments: