I've never thought that I was patient enough to be a teacher. Of course, as anyone who is a mom knows, you become a teacher whether or not you like it. Well, I've been trying to help DD learn how to read. She has known the sounds of all of the individual letters for a long time. Tonight, she seemed to actually be putting the sounds together correctly--for the first time for me. (I think she's been doing it at school.) While I was excited about that, some of the consonant blends have been difficult for her ("th" and "sh" for example). I got a little frustrated with her tonight because after the 30th or so time we saw the "th" combination, she still kept trying to sound the letters out individually. I feel like such a bad mom for getting frustrated with her. Of course, the baby was fussing in my lap at the same time, so that most likely added to my frustration.
Ironically, one of the interns at work who I was working with today thanked me at the end of the day for teaching him. Me, being thanked for being a "teacher"? Go figure!
2 comments:
It is amazing how often we become teachers, isn't it? The good and the bad! I wish I could remember that about the bad more often, like in traffic!!!
I bet you are an amazing teacher. Good luck on the reading thing.
I'm not the teaching type, either. I find that funny since all I wanted to be as I grew up was a teacher. I was obsessed with the idea. I even taught lessons to my stuffed animals and wrote lessons on my bedroom walls. I got over it!
Post a Comment