Monday, September 03, 2007

Little Mama

I decided to take a shower this morning while DH was out running some errands. I put the baby in his exersaucer in the bathroom so he could "play". I even put my contact lenses on just so I could keep an eye on him and actually see him from inside the shower. The rest of the kids were outside playing. Of course, as luck would have it, he "threw" most of his toys off the exersaucer and started crying--at the top of his lungs. Actually, I think he was just bored anyway. After a few minutes of this, DD came in. She had come in from playing outside and heard her brother crying. Ever the little mother, she wanted to see if she could help. She gave him back his toys, but that he didn't stop crying. I spent some hurried moments trying to finish up in the shower and then get dressed. The baby stopped crying immediately when I picked him up, as usual. That kid sure likes to be carried!

I still needed to dry my hair, so I had DD sit with DS on her lap in my bedroom. He seemed quite content there, so I went back into the bathroom. When I finished drying my hair, I heard DD singing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star to her baby brother. I listened to her, and when she finished, I told her what a nice song that was. She then started talking about when DS#3 asks her to read to him--that is, when he's four and he asks her to read to him, she'll say yes every time. That made me smile for two reasons. First, I realized that her big brothers must be treating her right and reading to her when she asked. Second, because I know her big brothers aren't always happy to take time from their own reading to read to her. Still, it was a sweet thought on her part. :)

I used to always think that I was going to have three children. It seems that God knew what he was doing, once again. I always knew that DD was different from her brothers, but seeing her with a younger sibling really has made me feel like we have a special bond. I feel like I'm training her to be a mother, too. I just hope I'm teaching her the right things!

(I just re-read my "Grouch" post. What a difference some sleep makes!)

3 comments:

Carolyn F said...

Amen on the "what a difference some sleep makes"! How cute that she reads to him!

Catherine said...

That's just the sweetest thing!

Anita said...

Awwwwww either that or her brothers won't read to her and she is determined to be different. Hehehe. Just kidding. But now you'll have that niggling doubt in the back of your mind. Isn't that awful? I remember not being able to get a shower. Sweet story!