The boys are taking a little breather here in this photo after Anthony was cleaning out his room today, or in other words, packing. Eric is playing his newest obsession, Plants vs. Zombies 2, on Anthony's phone. Alex is enjoying his "new" iPhone 4 (my old one). Patrick and I found it interesting that Alex was the one that pointed out to Anthony only YESTERDAY that he should start packing! We're leaving Wednesday morning!
Anthony has been enjoying his summer doing new things and seeing his friends as much as he can before they start school (some start this coming week) and before he leaves. Earlier this summer he went on a two-day/one-night beach trip with a large group of friends. This week he went on his first camping trip ever with a group of friends (Thursday through Saturday). I was lucky to get this picture from him. I asked him if he was having fun and if he knew when he would be back (on Saturday). He replied "Yes, no." That is his typical wordy answer. I reminded him to take pictures, so he sent me this one. I had to laugh at his serious expression and I asked him if he was trying to look serious or angry. He replied, "Seriangry." I love that boy. I keep bugging him about taking more pictures. I'm happy to get whatever I can get.
About a month or so ago, I asked him if he needed more underwear or socks. I still remember being in college and doing my own laundry. I wanted enough underwear and socks so I wouldn't have to do laundry as often. At that time, Anthony replied, "No, I'm fine." This week Patrick called me and said, "Anthony needs more underwear and socks! Some of it isn't in good shape and he just needs more underwear and socks!" Great--we're down to the week before he leaves for college and we have to shop. I was going to get those things on the way home from work, so Anthony texted me the brand and size of his boxer shorts, "Fruit of the Loom. It says size small." Ok, that cracked me up because he didn't even know what size underwear his wears, since he has never bought his own, of course. He had to look and "It says size small." I didn't end up getting them that day, so he still needed them. Oh, and I also asked him at least a month or two ago if he needed more clothes--shorts, jeans, shirts, etc.
Today, finally today, Patrick made him sit down to make a list of things he wanted to get for college. That list included one more pair of jeans, some T-shirts, and shoes. Of course, underwear and socks were on that list. Sigh. So, today we went to Target and bought $200 worth of T-shirts (5 or 6), boxer shorts (3 packs of at least 5), socks (two packs of 6), a pair of shorts, a plaid long-sleeve button down shirt, and two white T-shirts for Alex. We didn't find jeans or shoes at Target, so we've planned another shopping trip tomorrow, to the mall this time. After we bought all of that, Anthony turned to me, smiled, and said, "Thank you, Mama." Of course I smiled back and said, "Of course. I just wish you would go shopping when I want to go shopping."
So, meanwhile, Anthony is finding things in his dresser drawers like eyeglasses he hasn't worn in years--like one of his first pairs when he was five years old. There was even a pair of broken eyeglasses in there. Does this boy ever clean out his drawers? The answer to that question is obviously "no".
I made dinner tonight (enchilada casserole) and we ate at home after church. I also made some brownies, which I haven't done since before the old oven broke. I had a brownie with bananas, vanilla ice cream, and some chocolate syrup on top. The boys liked that idea but wanted to really go over the top, so they made the concoction in this picture. They had the brownies and bananas plus they put a Magnum bar in the middle and at least two scoops each of Cookies & Cream and Dulce de Leche for Anthony and Mint Chocolate Chip and Dulce de Leche for Alex, and they topped that all off with chocolate syrup. It was almost too much for even Anthony, although he finished his. Alex had no trouble at all finishing his. Then they both sat down to play on the PS3. When I reminded Alex that he still needs to complete his summer assignment for school, he said, "But I'm spending time with my brother who is about to go off to college." Oh well, how could I argue with that. They are both very different, but I love that they enjoy a lot of the same things.
I was at a party last night where people asked me about Anthony going off to college. Every time I replied that I was fine now, but I wasn't sure how I will do when I have to walk away. That time is coming soon. Wish me luck.



2 comments:
Elise is doing the same thing on this end of the country. :)
It's tough, no doubt about it. But it does get easier as time passes. I wish there were IPhones "back in the day" when Jay left. Getting to texts and FaceTime would have made it so much easier on me. Thinking of you.....
Post a Comment