Saturday, November 23, 2013

Scholastic Book Fair

Life is still a little hectic sometimes. Even though Eric does not currently have any soccer practices or other sports practices, Patrick and I are still pulled different ways sometimes. For example, on Monday I went directly from work to pick up Alex from school before going home. When we got home, the other three were already eating dinner. Patrick and Natalie left to go to swim practice. After I ate, I waited for Eric to finish eating (he still eats slower than the rest of the family) then we headed to his school Scholastic Book Fair where they were having Family Night. This was the only night when they would be open after school. Natalie would have wanted to go, but she had to so swimming. On the other days she would not be getting home on the bus before the book fair closed. Luckily, they had an online ordering option.

We could have given Eric money to buy books during school, but Patrick didn't want him buying books basically unsupervised by one of us. As it turned out, we might have saved money that way, because he would probably have received a $20 bill tops. I have a hard time saying no to books, especially when it involves a fundraiser for the school. Eric was so excited about each purchase that I ended up getting him the four books he requested. In fact, we picked out three books, and then when we were in line to buy those three, we heard the school librarian mention another book about the Despicable Me Minions. Eric's ears perked up at the mention of "minions". He still sleeps with his Minion stuffed toy, after all. These are the four books we bought for a grand total of over $28.

Star Wars Jedi Academy by Jeffrey Brown
This seemed a little above his level, but he is very interested in Star Wars.


Angry Birds Star Wars Lard Vader's Villains by Ruth Amos
Of course Eric first "heard of " Star Wars through the Angry Birds Star Wars app on the iPad. Of course he really wanted this book.

Lego Legends of Chima Lions and Eagles Activity Book complete with a mini-figure
I had no idea he was interested in Lego Legends of Chima, and this book comes with a mini-figure that he was especially interested in.

Despicable Me 2 The Offical Minion Manual by Howie Dewin
This has been his favorite book of the bunch. He giggles constantly when he reads it and he likes to share with me what he's reading, so I get bits and pieces of it.

As we were checking out, the school librarian was there. I mentioned the buying online option and she reminded me that if I bought online, the books would be delivered to the school for free and she would just put kit in Eric's backpack. She recognized Eric and she still remembered Natalie. I love teachers that remember their previous students like that.

Eric has been reading more than usual since he got these books. That makes the $28 totally worth it.

No comments: