Monday, August 04, 2008

Learning to Communicate

DH and I are pleased that DS#3 is starting to communicate with us. Well actually, he's always known how to tell us he doesn't like something. He has this high pitched screech that is very painful even to someone like me with dwindling auditory capabilities. Now, he has been able to tell us what he wants and doesn't want without screeching--at least more than before. Unfortunately, he still screeches sometimes.

When he wants his milk, he'll go to the refrigerator door and hang onto the handles. He usually whines a little until someone pays attention. Sometimes, when you go there and get his milk for him, and he shakes his head, that means that he wants yogurt. Yes, he does indeed shake his head. He is so adorable when he does this, because he almost looks like he's going to lose his balance.

Today, I was on the sofa watching TV with DS#2 and DD. DS#3 came up to me and tried to grab a couple of my fingers. I don't think he's really done this to me before, but I knew that he wanted to take me somewhere. He led me to the refrigerator. Wouldn't you know it, he wanted his milk cup!

He has also started saying a few words, at least a few words that we can actually understand. He has been saying "ball" and "light" for a long time. Today, I heard him, clear as day, say "up" when he wanted to get up on the sofa. I just love this stage when they are learning how to talk and when WE figure out what they're saying, it's like a big revelation!

5 comments:

The Mom said...

OH that is so sweet!!! :)

Catherine said...

Oh, how fun! I can hardly wait until the SGB starts saying words. I'm hoping that "grandma" will be among the first ones....lol!

Lily said...

Man, this brought back some fond (and not so fond) memories. you are right this is a very sweet yet frustrating stage....have fun with it

Pam Sivage said...

It is always fun to hear them say new words. I love it when they come up with a word that surprises everyone!

Anonymous said...

yup. I know that screech! :O
How exciting that he's communicating (without screaming, that is). Hope it's not too late when we see you guys again!