Friday, February 19, 2010

I'm Not Spoiling Them

This is a video of Eric singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" this morning. I love how he mispronounces the words. :) I tried to get a video of him dancing too, but he decided to sit and just move his feet instead.

I was off today because I worked last Saturday. Patrick brought Eric to bed with us this morning around 6:15ish when he got up to get the kids up. Eric immediately crawled over to my side so close to me that I couldn't roll over. I wanted to sleep a bit longer, but I couldn't help but give him hugs and kisses. He was all curled up for a while too until suddenly, he raised his head up, pointed to my clock and said, "Six and Six, and Three!" (It was 6:36AM.) Then he proceeded to tell me what the new number was whenever the clock changed for the next few minutes. He also kept pointing to Patrick's clock and then my clock, saying, "Papa....Mama...." Finally, I decided that neither of us were going to sleep any more, so we got up and went downstairs.

We both ate one hard-boiled egg each. We read a couple of books. He sang for me. We watched a little TV. It was nice spending some time with my youngest child. This is how I usually spend my days off. :)

When Natalie heard earlier in the week that I would be off today, she begged me to bring her lunch, McDonald's of course. She was in "Kid's Cafe" today, where they get to eat up on stage with either a friend or a parent, instead of with the rest of their class. You supposedly get picked every so often when you're well-behaved during lunchtime. Eric loves McDonald's too.

Natalie ate her lunch in about 10 minutes. I've never seen her eat that quickly unless she's really hungry or she's at school. Either she's really hungry at school or she knows she's got a hard and fast time limit so she has to finish in time. Eric ate all of his meat and left the bread like he usually does, and both of them finished their apple slices.

Alex's lunch overlaps Natalie's by a few minutes. He was supposed to have "Kid's Cafe" too, but he decided to eat with his group of friends instead. He usually asks a friend to eat with him instead of his parents. I tried to stay away from him so I wouldn't embarrass him. Eric and I only approached so Eric could say "Hi" and "Bye" and give him hugs. On a side note I noticed that his friends all seemed to have similar hairstyles and hoodies.

Eric had a meltdown as we were leaving the school. He was so upset that he wouldn't talk. Finally, Patrick and I figured out that maybe he got upset because he wanted to play in the playground at the school. I made it worse by leaving the school because I thought he was upset because he wanted to go home.

The weather was "misty" and cloudy and I really didn't want to be out in it, but he really wanted to go play outside. Patrick told me that I didn't have to go out just because he wanted me to. That would be spoiling him. He wanted to be outside and I didn't want to deny him that. I didn't want him to be a homebody like his Mama. I needed to eat lunch anyway and so I used this as an excuse to go get some food from P.F. Chang's to eat while he played at the playground at the La Cantera Mall.

So, that's what I did. I knew as soon as we got out of the car in the parking lot that I made the right decision. He was smiling, laughing, and skipping. Actually, he was galloping, but that's what he does when he tries to skip. He looks adorable when he "skips". He had a smile on his face pretty much the whole time he was playing. The little stinker was going down the slide head first at times. Surprisingly, we were able to leave without too much fuss when I told him that we could go home and have a snack.

No, I didn't spoil Eric or any of my kids. I was just spending my day off the way I usually spend my days off. :)

No comments: