Friday, October 26, 2012

Halloween Preview

We have a good friend that loves Halloween. She decorates for Halloween like some people decorate for Christmas. This year she did a Mayan theme, as in the end of the world in December 2012 when the Mayan calendar ends. Everyone in her family dresses up in the same theme--her and her husband, her two children (one of which is Natalie's good friend Maya), and her parents.

Patrick and I were never ones to dress up for Halloween, at least not since we've been adults. We feel like we need to put some effort into dressing up for this party since everyone else dresses up. There were some really great homemade costumes there tonight and in the past. We are boring and we usually buy our costumes. I'll have to share a picture of Patrick and me at a later date.

We got the kids' costumes last Friday. Natalie has been begging to go and finally we went last Friday since she wasn't going to swim practice anyway. We took Eric and Natalie to one of the nearby Party City stores. I bought Eric a Lightning McQueen costume from the Disney Store last year when they were having a big sale. Of course, he didn't want that this year. He wanted to be a dinosaur. The only problem is that they don't have dinosaur costumes for boys his age, only toddler costumes. I had also looked online. They had one or two "dinosaur" costumes, but they looked more like dragons or alligators--not authentic enough for my OCD little boy.

When we got to Party City, he almost immediately settled on the Nemo costume. I had him try it on at the store and he loved it. Natalie was another matter. It took her a good half hour or more to decide on even which costumes to try on, then we had to line up at the fitting room several times (there were a ton of people there last Friday night) to try all of them on. Finally she decided on this "Sparkling Spiderella" costume, which is basically a black velvet gown with a spider web-like stand-up collar. She had actually wanted the costume that I ended up getting for me ("Gothic Temptress"), but it's an adult costume and therefore way too big for her. She didn't want to wear the collar because she thought it would make her neck itch. She was definitely limited with any costume that had netting. The velvet was at least soft for her skin. It doesn't photograph well (see picture), but I think she looks gorgeous with her hair down and parted on the side. She wanted to accessorize with a wooden knife (my "dainty" little girl). Originally she wanted to paint the knife red, but Patrick didn't want anything that would chip off.

I had a full day at work today, and then I had to wait for Anthony to get out of his after school meeting before heading home after 5pm. We rushed getting ready and got to the party at 6:30pm. I realized as we were going out the door that Natalie, Patrick, and I were all wearing black. Eric was our "bright spot" with his orange costume.

At the party, they had a craft table with masks the kids could color and mount on popsicle sticks. Eric didn't actually color his; he put a bunch of dinosaur stickers on the mask just because he could. They also had a scavenger hunt for the kids and lots of Halloween-themed food, drinks, and decor.

The kids ate real food before digging into the goodies. I indulged Eric and let him have two cupcakes. Look at that cute little Nemo. Can you blame me for not being able to say "no"? :)

No comments: