Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Weekend "Lasts"

I didn't get a chance to post this weekend. On Saturday, I went to Anthony's last cross country meet ever. It was the District Cross Country Meet. It was windy and in the 40s, so I bundled up. Anthony wore shorts when I dropped him off at school for the meet, but he was wearing a shirt under his uniform when he ran--he must have actually felt cold, for once.

I was hoping that he would get his best time. Just last week he had his best time ever, 19 minutes for a 5K. I know he was hoping he would get his best time too. This photo is when he was just crossing the finish line. He finished next to last. His watch showed 21:14. :( He didn't want to talk afterwards, but I hung out close to him. Poor thing started dry heaving in the trash can after talking with his coach. :(( I couldn't do too much except for handing him some more water when he finished the water that he had, and giving him tissues to wipe his face after he finished hanging over the trash can. I'm sure it didn't help that his girlfriend broke up with him right before the meet. He said it didn't matter, but who knows. No matter what, Patrick and I are still proud of him, for sure.

His cross country team had an end of season party after the meet. After school soccer practices will start after Thanksgiving.

Anthony ran at about 9am. Eric's game was at 10am across town, and they had already started by the time I got there. It was really cute that Eric waved at me and said "Hi Mama" when he saw me, even though the ball was in play and coming toward him at that time.

He actually scored a goal during that game. I was caught off guard when he kicked the ball pretty hard and it sort of glanced a player on the other team and ended up in the goal, so I didn't get a picture. He was more aggressive during this game. This photo is the result. He was moving the ball toward the goal, but a player from the other team kicked it back at him and the ball ended up bouncing up and hit Eric on the face. I wasn't allowed to rush onto the field even though I really wanted to. By this time, Patrick had left to take Alex to his game that was scheduled for 11:30am across town. Eric started crying and ran off to one of the other coaches. The other coach hugged him and talked to him, and Eric came back into the game wiping away his tears. They won the game anyway with a score of 5-1. Alex's team lost 2-5.

Eric had his last game of his first season on Sunday--they lost 3-5. After the game, we had a cookout with hotdogs and other picnic fair. One of the parents played music from their car stereo, and it was hilarious when "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO came on and all of the five-year-olds started dancing.

Patrick is going to sign Eric up for basketball next. Hopefully we'll get a little break before they start practicing.

Next weekend, Alex will play his last soccer games of the Fall season. He plans on quitting club soccer after that, but he plans on joining soccer in high school next year. We'll see what the next few months brings--probably lots more sports for all of the kids.

No comments: