Whenever I think we are busy, something happens that makes us even busier. We already had a busy weekend with Natalie's first long course swim meet yesterday and today. Patrick left town today with Anthony so they could visit Rice University, one of Anthony's top college choices. That meant that I would be a single parent until tomorrow evening. We thought we had everything planned. I would go into work late (coverage already arranged) and a neighbor would take Natalie and Eric as they got off the bus, and I would later (at 5pm) go pick up Alex after track practice. Luckily, Natalie already said she didn't want to go to swim practice tomorrow or that would be just one more thing to get done. As is typical with kids, though, they always find some way to remind you that you're not really prepared.I thought Eric felt warm this afternoon, but I just thought it was because he had put on a long sleeve shirt and jeans this morning even though it was up in the 80s today. Later, when he said he felt cold, I told him to snuggle under one of our many blankets that are scattered around the house. Alex then told me that Eric had crawled into his own bed and fallen asleep. Eric doesn't nap. When he started complaining that his stomach hurt (around 5pm), I thought it was because he had not had a snack and he was used to eating early. When he started complaining that his stomach hurt and complained that he felt cold but his whole head felt hot to me, plus he was crying and refused to eat, I couldn't deny it anymore. Eric was sick. Fever of 101.4 sick. Sigh.
First I had to throw out all of the bottles and cartons of expired medicines (some from 2007!) before I could be sure that we did not have any liquid acetaminophen or ibuprofen. After all, our kids don't really get sick, so we don't usually need medications--except for allergies. We have plenty of up to date allergy medications. I had to make another run to the grocery store. Meanwhile, Eric was huddled next to the toilet because he felt sick. I had to go through a whole process of "grieving" before I accepted/realized that yes, I would have to call into work tomorrow. I've never had to call in sick to work, at least not since I've worked at my current job. I've even gone into labor while at work--but I came into work that day. I felt so guilty making that phone call, but what else could I do? I refused to be one of those parents that will medicate her child and then send them to school, only to get called in the afternoon when the medication wears off or worse yet, so they can infect someone else's child while they're at school.
I could see Eric get better as the ibuprofen took effect. He was even smiling when I tucked him into Patrick's side of our bed. I didn't want Eric climbing up and down from his top bunk in the middle of the night when he is sick. So, I guess now I'll be at home with time to do all the cleaning and stuff that I didn't get to do this weekend because of the swim meet.
1 comment:
Poor boy! Hope he feels better soon!
Post a Comment