Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I'm the Mother of a Teenager!

On this day 13 years ago, I became a mother for the first time. I didn't do the fancy scrapbooking then that I do now, so my scrapbook was mostly pictures and captions. I just remember how little DS#1 was and how I couldn't believe that I was a mom! You see, he was 3 1/2 weeks early, so he was a little "unexpected".

My water broke at home around 2:30AM. I called the doctor's office while DH was still sleeping, so I wouldn't wake him too early. We went in by around 4:30AM, I think, and we waited. Nothing happened with labor, but I remember getting my first enema--yuck! Finally around 8AM or so, the doctor finally arrived, and ordered the nurse to begin inducing me. When the contractions got very strong, I asked for something for pain, realizing that it was probably too early for an epidural. I got some IV medication. A little before noon, DH decided he was going to go get something to eat. He had to come right back because I started feeling like I had to push. I knew what that meant. It meant that I wasn't going to get my epidural! The hardest part (harder than the labor) was not being allowed to push when I really felt the urge to. The doctor (who was just the guy on call and wasn't my regular doctor) apparently didn't believe that I was that close to delivering and was next door with another patient. When he finally came to my room, it didn't take long at all.

The next few weeks were happy but even more traumatic for me (emotionally) than the labor and delivery. DS#1 would not nurse, but I did manage to get some liquid into him--enough that he was not dehydrated. I was an unexperienced mother and didn't realize he wasn't getting any nutrition, but I was experienced enough as a health care provider to know about dehydration. He lost 25% of his weight by day 10. There was one picture in particular that was so scary that I threw away the prints. He was that thin. I still have the negatives, so one day I might be ready to look at that picture again. Look at my big, strapping boy now!

This is a picture of him taken yesterday. We got him a couple of video games--his favorite activity. DH actually did the shopping and the wrapping this time. DS#1 was excited about one of the games because it is for the PSP (Playstation Portable) that is actually DH's handheld game system. That meant that Papa was allowing DS#1 to play on his machine. The other game is for the PS3 (Playstation 3) and DS#1 seemed excited about it because 2 players can play together. He played it with his little brother tonight. DS#2 seemed pretty excited about it too. :)

Now as promised, some pictures of the rooms with the new wood flooring. Please ignore the mess. Everything isn't quite put back where it should be yet.
DS#1's roomand his hand-me-down bed and bed linens. We'll have to make this room look a little more teen boy-like soon. ;-)

This is the formal dining room. The table is an antique that my in-laws gave us. DH removed some of the leaves to make it easier to move back and forth. The stuff on top is from my scrap area temporarily placed there until I can finish cleaning and organizing my scrap area. Wish me luck!

This is the office. DH's area is on the left, and mine is on the right. I really wish we had put doors on all of the cabinets when we got these built-ins. The doors are better for hiding the mess inside.

This is the family room/living room or whatever you want to call it. As you can see, the boys are playing DS#1's new PS3 game. These aren't the best photos, but you can get a good idea. :)

8 comments:

Lily said...

aww happy birthday to your big man! Thanks for sharing your birth story. I love reading about how our little ones came into the world. I feel your pain on the bfing. we had huge issues with Madison also. She only weighed 5 lbs and had a hard time latching on.

the floors look great. Makes your rooms look huge.

Bonni said...

Wow, it looks great Melanie!
and man, is he a teenager already? time goes by, doesn't it??
HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

Jules said...

He's looking so grown up too!!! Happy Birthday to him.

Your floors look AWESOME!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I know I called him, but again, Happy Birthday to your teenager. (YIKES!) He's such a GOOD kid.
And wow - the flooring looks great! (Now you just have to get it all organized, get a new area rug, some built-ins, and the list goes on... ;)

Catherine said...

Your floors look so great! Love them! And happy birthday to your boy!

Pam Sivage said...

Your floors looks awesome,know you will love them.
Can't beleive you have a teenager! Happy 13th Birthday!

The Mom said...

Happy 13th to your big boy (I mean guy....)!!!

I love your floors they look really nice!!

Laura said...

Happy 13th to your DS#1!
Your floors look great!