Sunday, October 10, 2010

Mall Rats

I've been spending a lot of time with the two little ones this weekend. That's usually the case because the older boys tend to do their own thing and hanging out with their mama usually isn't their thing. I've also been going to the mall a lot. I realized this afternoon that I've been to the two nearby malls three times this weekend, one trip each on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Before I go on, I just wanted to comment on this picture of Natalie. She had just gotten her hair cut on Friday and I let her play on my iPhone while we were waiting for the older boys to finish their haircuts. Even though she claims to not be so girly, she still looks pretty girly with her sparkly headband and crossed legs. She even let me buy her a skirt AND a dress on Saturday, but I'll describe that in more detail later this week, hopefully with some pictures.

Eric made himself at home all curled up with my iPad on one of the hairdresser chairs. He was quiet and content, which was key since we spent almost an hour and a half there with the three kids getting their haircuts.

I went to the mall with Eric on Friday after we went to the Witte Museum. I didn't plan to do any shopping there, but we went because I knew I could get him to leave the museum without too much fussing if I offered to take him to the mall to eat. I didn't want to eat in the food court so I took his Chick-Fil-A with us "to go" and I picked up some Chinese Chicken Salad at The Cheesecake Factory (one of my favorite dishes). My main purpose in going to the mall was to pick up some Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake to have for Anthony's birthday. When he and Patrick got home from the movie on Friday, we sang "Happy Birthday" to Anthony and then had some cheesecake. Everyone had a piece except for Alex who isn't really into cheesecake.

On Saturday, I took Natalie and Eric to the mall so I could redeem my Gymbucks at Gymboree. I was very surprised when Natalie let me buy one of their Christmas dresses. I was also happy that Eric agreed to let me buy the matching boys' shirt for him to wear. I'll try to get them to put the outfits on later this week so I can get a picture. I'm sure they'll look wonderful. We also got a few other things for Natalie. She's quite the shopper and she doesn't take long to decide whether or not she likes something. I like that about her. We certainly don't need another indecisive shopper (like me) in this family. She was a really big help to me with Eric being cranky. She's not usually so helpful, but I really appreciated her on this trip.

Today, Natalie, Eric and I went to the "outside" mall or LaCantera for the main purpose of dropping off Anthony. As soon as Anthony finished his game (which they lost 1-2), the four of us rushed home so Anthony could take a shower, and then we took him to the mall to meet up with his friends. Patrick was still at the soccer field with Alex for Alex's game (which they unfortunately lost 1-6). Anthony's plan was to meet his friends at the mall and then Patrick would take all of them out to Olive Garden for dinner and then everyone would get picked up except for Anthony's best friend who is going to spend the night at our house tonight.

This isn't the best photo, but it was the only one Eric would let me take. As you can see, he is holding his burp cloth against his face while he was walking around at the mall. Yes, he was tired and cranky. Yes, most of the time he rode in the stroller. Still, we managed to do a little shopping and then had dinner in the food court. Natalie got to shop at her favorite store, Bath and Body Works. I bought her some of the Midnight Pomegranate bath and shower gel that she has been relentlessly bugging me to get for her.

Three mall visits in three days--I think that's a record for me. I have a 24-hour call tomorrow, so I guess I felt like I needed to "go out" this weekend to make up for being cooped up in the hospital all day and night tomorrow.

No comments: