Thursday, February 23, 2012

Change of Routine

We got out of our usual routine today. When I get home, I usually go through this routine with Eric:

Me: Eric, how was your day at school?
Eric: Good.
Me: Did you learn anything at school?
Eric: Yes.
Me: What did you learn?
Eric: I don't know.

In an effort to get him to actually tell me about what he learned, I started asking him specifics, like, "Did you learn about a new letter or a new number?" He usually still says "I don't know" or "I don't remember." Today he said, "We learned about big Q's and little q's." We tried looking for his worksheet, but Patrick had left his backpack at school. We'll have to look for it tomorrow.

On the way home from work, I also usually pick up Alex at the local middle school where his school bus drops him off. Today I got out of work right on time, which meant that I would have had to wait at least a half hour at the school before he got there, so instead I came straight home. That way also, I could spend a little time with my parents and the little ones before taking Natalie to swimming. Well, after she ate dinner, she said that her tummy hurt. I've been feeling a little tired lately probably due to allergies, so I was not disappointed at all. Here she is finishing up her homework that is due on Fridays. This way she also had time to finish that.

Patrick picked up Alex instead of me. When Alex got home, he had lots of homework so he wasn't sure he would be able to finish in time for soccer. He also complained of his back hurting earlier in the week. Again, Patrick and I were not disappointed about this. Sometimes it's nice to take a break from the hustle and bustle of our weeknight routine.

Speaking of routine, I usually don't post photos of Anthony playing soccer because it's so hard to get good pictures. I don't love this photo but I do like how you can see these three running at top speed to get to the ball. This was yesterday's game when Anthony's school played the team from the school he would have gone to if he hadn't chosen a magnet school. The other team won pretty handily. Anthony was pretty disappointed in the loss. They've lost all of their district games so far. :(

Patrick picked him up after soccer practice today too. That is the usual routine because I'm usually gone with Natalie by that time. They stopped by Schlotzky's on the way home-again, another routine. Natalie and I watched our DVR tapes of American Idol--more routine. One thing that is becoming more routine is Eric playing Mario Kart Wii with different siblings. Tonight it was just Natalie and in the last 20 or so minutes before bedtime. He's getting much better. He can sometimes stay on the race track now! Sometimes it's good to break the routine!

No comments: