Sunday, May 20, 2012

Spring Recital 2012

Natalie's piano recital was today at 2:30pm. We were a little concerned yesterday because she was acting so tired in the morning (grouchy, quick to snap at Eric, etc.) and that was before a swim party and sleepover for her friend's birthday. She was not going to get less tired at a sleepover and she had this recital today. We decided in the end that she's worked so hard for everything (school, piano, swimming) that she deserved to go, so we let her. When Patrick picked her up this morning around 10am, she denied being tired, but she was uncharacteristically quiet and I could barely get her to interact with me (i.e., talk to me, hug me, etc.). I strongly suggested to her that she lie down to rest. She isn't a napper, so I didn't expect her to actually sleep, although I hoped she would. She at least seemed to be in better spirits after a short time in her bedroom.

She played the Star Wars Theme by John Williams and a piece titled "Folk Dance" by Bela Bartok. She told me after the recital that her piano teacher said that if she forgot some part of the second piece, she should skip to the end since she knew the end. She did just that. It wasn't super obvious, but the piece was a lot shorter than I remembered it to be. I already knew that she was having trouble remembering because I asked her to run through her pieces once this morning after she got home and she had a lot of trouble with the second piece. I couldn't do anything about it so what else could I do but tell her (after the recital) that I was still proud of her for getting up there and performing.

In case you're wondering--Anthony was eating a cupcake when I took this picture. Alex stayed home to play PS3, but Anthony decided on his own that he wanted to come and watch his sister play at her recital. He even dressed up for it. These two have an obvious love for each other when they interact. We took her to get frozen yogurt afterwards as a reward. She was eating her red velvet yogurt quickly, so he told her, "Don't eat so fast!" She replied, "Why not?" He just cracked up laughing. That was totally something he would have replied also. She laughed too as we all did. Outside after she finished (Anthony didn't have any), she was hugging him and telling him that she'll never be as big as he is. He was hugging her back and saying that she is "tiny". She says she doesn't want to grow up and he tells her that she can't. She also told him not to go off to college, but at the same time she knows he will. I love watching these two.

Eric came along also--his decision. We had to keep reminding him to be quiet and to not move his legs up and down rhythmically causing his shoes to make a slight noise. He was pretty well behaved for a five-year-old boy. He seemed to enjoy some of the music and he definitely enjoyed his yogurt with gummy bears.

No comments: