I haven't posted about Alex's birthday yet, because it was on Monday--I was post-call and almost comatose for most of the day and Natalie had a swim meet in the evening. We didn't even get a big present for him. He only asked for one thing, and that was a wireless headset that he could use when playing on the PS3. My sister Melissa called dibs on that one. My sister Cynthia, my parents, and Patrick's parents all gave him money. What else could I do but focus on the things he likes to eat. He specifically requested orange soda and Chester's Flamin'Hot Fries. I also got him some Pepperidge Farm Milano Cookies, specifically the orange flavored ones, and some "5" gum (his favorite).
On Monday, Alex had gotten up, probably before 5am (we're not sure) so he could start playing on the PS3. He knew that we would let him play as much as he wanted on his birthday and he wanted to maximize his play time. As soon as I got home from work that morning, we went out to IHOP so he could get his favorite, the Danish Fruit Crepes. He played on the PS3 for the rest of the day, taking breaks to have the snacks I bought for him. For lunch he requested a Chipotle steak burrito, which Patrick brought home for him. For dinner, he had HEB Extra Thin Crust Pepperoni Pizza, which is his favorite pizza. We didn't even get to take him out to eat since we were at Natalie's swim meet from about 5-9pm.
I took some iPhone photos of what he ate, but I didn't take any photos of him--his request, of course. I happened to mention to our waitress at IHOP that Alex had chosen to go there because it was his birthday and she took it upon herself to come with the other waitstaff to sing "Happy Birthday" to him while presenting him with vanilla ice cream with hot fudge on top. I wasn't expecting that so I wasn't ready with the camera. I was able to take a small snippet of video, which Alex asked me to delete, but this was one birthday request I had to refuse.
I wanted to dig out some old photos of Alex as a baby to post on this blog, but I haven't had a chance yet. Those were the days of non-digital photos, after all. Alex has grown to be an intelligent, sweet boy, who frustrates his parents at times. He loves his siblings and shows it in subtle ways, except for Eric. For Eric he openly shows his sweet side on a daily basis. We know he cares for Natalie even though he seems to be constantly insulting her. He gives Anthony a tough time, verbally, but anyone can easily tell how much he looks up to him. He has certainly always made our lives interesting and we love him so much. Happy Birthday, Alex!
No comments:
Post a Comment