Sunday, July 27, 2014

Visit to Lolo and Lola's House

We visited my Mom and Dad's house on Friday. I would have gotten food from a local restaurant to bring, but Mom already took care of ordering food from a "new place". She doesn't do as much cooking as she used to, but she has a lot of great places to order from. When we got there, Anthony said, "And you thought there wouldn't be enough food?" Well, I should have known she would have ordered enough for us plus my sisters and their families if they had come too. Mom ordered a full styrofoam take-out container of a barbecued pork dish and another similar container of chicken. She had another container filled with a noodle dish. She also made one of the kids' favorite--arroz caldo or "rice soup" as the kids call it. On top of that, she made one of my favorite dishes (and one that I always ask her for when I visit)--hot and sour soup. For dessert, she had brownies and flan.

Cynthia and her family had a dog-training session with their new dog Lucy. Melissa was at work and actually, her daughter Emily went to lunch with her dad and he dropped her off pretty much around the time we got there, so Emily and Natalie got to pal around all afternoon. One of the things they did was that they drew pictures with their eyes closed, then they would ask us to identify what they had drawn. They had a lot of laughs about that one. Eric then decided he would get in on the action, except he just wanted to draw. One of his drawings looked like a long-necked dinosaur with a long tail. Of course we all thought it was a brachiosaurus. Eric said, "NO! It's a Shunosaurus! Can't you tell by the club-tail?" Wow, okay--uh no, I couldn't tell by the club tail. I don't remember reading about a dinosaur called Shunosaurus. He was really taking the drawing seriously. Look at that face above!

Anthony came with us on this trip specifically because he will be going back to Boston soon, a couple of weeks before school starts. This will be the last time he says his Lolo and Lola until Christmas. One of the things I really wanted to do while we were there was to get a picture of him with his grandparents. My sisters agreed that this was probably the best photo of Dad, even though he looks mad in the picture. This is pretty much his expression nowadays. I don't see him as often as my sisters do, and it's still a bit of a shock every time I see his physical and mental decline. At least now, Mom has someone come to help her few times a week, but I wish she would get more help.

I finally got the girls to somewhat willingly get in the picture. It's too bad Alex couldn't make the trip with us, and I wish Nick and Aly were there too, but it was nice to get a photo of Lolo and Lola with their grandkids during our short visit to Houston.

No comments: