Wow, what a day. I was so happy when I finally saw this cute face covered in chocolate ice cream. I was supposed to leave San Antonio at 8:15am. I got a text at 4am, saying that my plan wasn't going to take off until 11:55am. I was supposed to get into Chicago by 11am, but now I wasn't even scheduled to leave San Antonio until after my original arrival time.
Patrick was with the kids in Chicago, waiting for my arrival. He was planning to pick me up and then we would drive to Milwaukee to meet up with the rest of his family. Now that pick up time was getting pushed back. I was not happy. Also, I had arranged for a friend (and co-worker) to pick me up on her way to work. I couldn't just stay home. I had to be at the airport for another three hours.
When I got to the airport, I went to the Southwest Airlines Ticket Agent and asked why my plan was so late. She immediately said that she had instructions to give me a $100 travel voucher for my inconvenience. Then, she informed me that the departure was delayed even further--2:15pm. Oh my goodness. She then offered me a second $100 travel voucher. She never stated why the plane was delayed so long, but I heard another agent tell someone else on the same flight that the plane was in Dallas and had been struck by lightning, so they were checking it out and they didn't know when it would be ready.
I was worried that after they delayed the flight for so long already, there might be the possibility of the flight being cancelled all together. Patrick was worried that he had to check out of the Chicago hotel by noon and he didn't know what to do with the kids where he didn't have to park somewhere with a van full of luggage. We were both worried that we wouldn't get out of Chicago and arrive in Milwaukee until late in the afternoon/evening.
I explained this to the ticket agent, and she eventually found another flight for me, except going straight to Milwaukee. I had to rush to get on a plane going to Phoenix because it was already boarding. I was the last passenger to board that flight. Luckily, the seat I found was in the middle seat between two people that weren't too obese and they didn't smell. I had to change planes in Phoenix to get to Milwaukee. Meanwhile, Patrick went ahead and left Chicago and drove to Milwaukee. The kids were already having fun on the beach outside of my in-laws' condo when Patrick went to the Milwaukee airport at 2pm--earlier than that original flight was supposed to leave San Antonio. I got to have my Eric hugs and I got my $200 in vouchers for future travel on Southwest Airlines.
The kids were all on the beach when I got there. We all had ice cream at a nearby shop that was a short walking distance from my in-laws' condo. The weather was bright and sunny and in the 70s--20 degrees cooler than San Antonio.
Natalie got reacquainted with her other girl cousins. Natalie even played with Aunt Lisa's old Barbie dolls with cousin Sydney. Gasp. Natalie hasn't played with dolls in years. They said they didn't have anything else to do. I had to take a picture to document the event, of course.
I probably won't be able to post again until we get back home, but I wanted to share what happened today with my plane flights.


No comments:
Post a Comment