After Patrick and the kids left on their road trip yesterday, I parked the extra car in the garage. I saw this in the driver's side door pocket. Anthony had left his name tag there, and seeing it made me very sentimental. Sure, I'll see Anthony again when they pick me up from the airport later this week, but next week, he will travel back to school.
My friend Alicia and I were talking tonight about whether or not it's easier to send Anthony off to college this year. Right now it feels harder. Last year I was trying to hold it together because I knew Anthony was nervous. This year, I guess I don't care--Anthony isn't nervous this year. He is happy there, and he is enjoying himself so much that he wants to go back early. This year, though, I'm going to visit him in October, instead of waiting until December to see him again. That will make it easier on me. I've already booked the flight.
Patrick and the kids leaving just aggravated this feeling. They drove approximately 740 miles yesterday, until they reached Memphis. Patrick let Anthony drive only about 85 miles, and he drove the rest. He was very tired at the end of the day. Natalie texted me throughout their trip, sending pictures of her brothers trying to sleep, playing games, and she even sent me a selfie. She told me, "You said to take pictures." Yes, I did, and I was so happy that one of my children paid attention to me.
They are headed to my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary party. I was talking to Eric about the party last week. He said, "Kids don't usually go to anniversaries." He just remembers that when Patrick and I go out to celebrate our anniversary, he isn't invited. He was wondering why he had to go to Grandma and Grandpa's anniversary celebration. He also wondered out loud why kids don't go on honeymoons. I told him that the 50th wedding anniversary is a big deal, and that Grandma and Grandpa wanted to celebrate with their kids and grandkids. Eric said, "50 is a lot. Doing one thing 50 times is a lot." That boy cracks me up. I can't wait to see him again along with the rest of the family at the end of the week. I'll have to get Patrick to do some blog posts about the trip when they get back.

No comments:
Post a Comment