Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Value of Money

How do you teach your kids to be more responsible with their possessions and ultimately about money? This has been such a dilemma for us. Tonight, DS#1 forgot his warm-up pants at his soccer practice field. This isn't the first time he's forgotten something there. Luckily, last time his coach found his soccer ball and held on to it until the next practice. Hopefully that happened this time, too. We just spent a lot of money on his soccer gear. Tonight he also found out that he has some money missing. We've told him time and time again to be careful where he leaves his money. Hopefully his sister (who routinely leaves dollar bills that her grandma gave her lying around the house) was "playing" with it and just stashed it somewhere. Hopefully it hasn't been taken by the new lady who cleans our house. Sadly, I don't think I myself really learned the value of money until my Dad was laid off from his job around the time I was finishing high school. Hopefully, we'll find some other way to teach the kids about the value of money.

2 comments:

Pam Sivage said...

I wish there was an answer to this! T left her camera unattended at school 4 months ago and it was gone in a flash. She had to ref soccer games to pay for 1/2 of it. One would think lesson learned...but no the new one was missing last weekend. This time she was lucky in was in a friends car! I can't tell you the number of soccer balls, warm ups, sandals, goalie gloves, and sunshades we have given to other people!

Anita said...

I wish I knew, I really do. I was born with a sense of money being precious, I guess because we were so poor. The kids, though, seem to really believe it grows on trees.