Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Holiday Shopping

Today's prompt deals with shopping, one of my favorite activities!
List some stores that you always seem to go to for your holiday shopping. Why those stores? Do you like to “one-stop shop” or do you like to go to different stores to find exactly what you want? Do you use online versus bricks-and-mortar stores? Why one versus the other?

This year, I started my shopping on the day before Thanksgiving. I stopped at the toy store down the street first. It's family owned and a wonderful place to find unique toys. The owner is always there and makes personal recommendations that really helps speed my shopping along. The only time I've seen them have a sale is the week before Thanksgiving when everything in the store is 15% off. The other great thing about this store is that the owner will wrap my gifts for me for no extra charge. Believe me, that is one perk that I like to fully take advantage of!

My next stop this year was Toys 'R Us. They were having some pre-holiday sales and I had wish lists in hand from my kids and from my nieces and nephew. Between the two stores, I finished the biggest bulk of my Christmas shopping within about two hours, despite carrying around a baby that didn't want to sit in the shopping cart. That's the way I like to get things done--not exactly "one-stop shop" but close! Another plus was that almost everything I bought was on sale!

For toys, I tend to buy at the bricks-and-mortar places because it's easier for me to find out if that's the toy I want to get when I can read and see the packaging. I do some online shopping as well, but not as much as I used to since I have such a big selection of stores here in town. What I might do is shop online to narrow down my choices then go to the store to get the item. The exception is usually my nephew (DH's sister's son). Since I have to ship it anyway, I tend to shop for him entirely online.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

WTG getting that shopping wrapped up!