
Our friend Ga has a goal to visit all of the Presidential libraries, so today we went to the LBJ Library in Austin, which is only an hour and a half or so from here. With nine people and eight seats, we were packed rather tightly into the van. You can't see DD who is in that back row on the left behind the seat. Ga was sitting in the front passenger's seat with me and I was driving. DH volunteered to get squished in the back row. DS#2 and Gr got to sit in the middle seats since they can sometimes both be prone to motion sickness also. That is also my problem, which is why I felt like I had to be the one to drive. It didn't end up being too bad, but I still hate driving.

I enjoyed the library visit a great deal. I realized that I really didn't know much about LBJ or his presidency. I didn't realize his administration produced some of the programs that are still around today, like Medicare/Medicaid, and Head Start. I knew about the Civil Rights Act of 1964, but I didn't put two and two together that LBJ was the one that signed that piece of legislation. The exhibit on the events of November 22, 1963 were chilling, and seeing a video of LBJ's address to Congress after the assassination was inspiring. The best thing about this library is that it's free. DH and I decided that we'll have to go back again some time.

DS#3 didn't take a nap again today, but he really traveled very well today. We were all so cramped from being in the van for three hours round trip today that we played outside for a bit this afternoon. It was windy, but sunny with the high in the 70s. This is a photo of Ga and DH that I took outside. They've been good friends since they were both the only dads at Story Hour at the public library. DS#2 was only a few months old then. DH and I have always been very thankful for such great friends. They're leaving tomorrow, but as always, we're already looking forward to the next time we see them again. :)
5 comments:
You are all packed in like sardines but it sounds like a great road trip none-the-less! I'm glad you enjoyed your friends visit.
thanks for the mini history lesson!
WOW...sounds like a neat place to visit! Thanks for all the info.
Karen
I have been to a couple of the presidential libraries and always find them very interesting.
The LJB library is great and next time take them to the Bob Bullock Museum. Sounds like a great fun packed visit!
Post a Comment