Saturday, February 07, 2009

Genome: The Secret of How Life Works

Today was the opening of a new exhibit at the Witte Museum called "Genome: The Secret of How Life Works". The museum opened at 8:30AM for members. That meant getting up earlier on a Saturday than I would have hoped for. On the "up" side, we got a free breakfast and free entrance to the new exhibit (usually the exhibit would be an extra $3 even for members). DS#1, DD, and I all got two bean and cheese tacos each. They decided they didn't like theirs after a few bites, however. DH and I really hate wasting food, but what could we do? DS#2 loaded up on bananas and yogurt, and DS#3 had the same.

There were a ton of people at the exhibit, so I didn't really enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. Much of it was way over DD's head, even though DH and I tried to simplify it as much as we could. Still, she had some fun at some of the interactive exhibits--watching videos, pairing nucleotides, etc. DS#3 just enjoyed pressing buttons whenever he could. I was surprised that DS#2 didn't act very interested. I thought for sure he would want to read everything and try to learn everything. I told DH that I can totally see engineering in his future and not Biology like his parents. DS#1 did seem to enjoy it and spent quite a bit of time looking at all of the information.

We went to some of the other permanent exhibits there that the kids always enjoy, then we headed home for lunch. DD and DS#2 played outside, then DS#1 and DS#2 got to play some PS3 video games. DH and I didn't try to put DS#3 down for a nap until we saw this. The poor boy had fallen asleep clutching his "James" train. He probably didn't even want to admit that he was tired--that's why he is only partly lying down. When DH tried to move him to his crib, he was burning up, so he was medicated first. DH thought he himself was feeling better today too, until tonight. I hope they both feel better tomorrow. For now, DD and I still haven't gotten "it"...

By the way, I'm going to use all three of the above photos as my "photos of the day" because I have space in my Project 365 album. I realized that I take quite a few portrait photos and that allows me more room in the album. This way I don't have to spend extra time trying to narrow down the field. :)

4 comments:

The Mom said...

OMG that pic of DS#3 asleep on the stair is so cool!! Looks like you guys had a fun time!!

Catherine said...

That photo of DS#3 is just adorable!

Pam Sivage said...

Love the photo of DS#3 asleep, that is too sweet!

Cynthia Baldwin said...

aw! Poor little man - trying to keep up w/ big people all the time is tough! Hope he feels better soon. Don't know how you're managing to fit 3 photos for 1 day in your album. I do find choosing just one photo on some days quite difficult - on others, it's super-easy b/c I only take one!