Sunday, February 08, 2009

Livestock Show

We began today like any other Sunday. DH went out and got donuts for us, then after breakfast we got ready for church. We ran a few errands after church then returned home for lunch. One of those errands was picking up some barbecue. I guess that got us in the mood, because we decided to head out to the Livestock Show and Rodeo that's in town right now. We skipped the rodeo and just roamed the grounds.

We saw some sheep and goats then discovered the Borden area where we had milkshakes and ice cream. We missed the demonstration on how to milk a cow using some automated equipment because we were interested in seeing the "CSI: Live" show. Don't ask me what that has to do with the rodeo, but it was a show using audience volunteers to "solve" a mystery. DS#2 loves science and mysteries, so we thought this was right up his alley. Earlier DH and I had talked about how in his school group photo, he was the only one in his class that was not smiling. DH had to threaten him in order for him to smile for this photo, but at least he did it.

The show started with a "magic show" where the assistant gets injured. Two "CSIs" show up with their mobile unit and solve the case. There was even a video with "Gil Grissom" (played by William Petersen) from the TV show "CSI" giving them instructions. It was entertaining and in the end they did an actual magic trick where the assistant goes into a box disappears and then reappears. This will be my photo of the day for today.

One of the other things we did was this "game" where DD had to throw the rope onto the "steer". She didn't make it with any of them, but she seemed to enjoy herself anyway. She also wanted to do the petting zoo. The petting zoo was free but you had to buy food if you wanted to feed them. I refused to buy the food and I'm glad I did. As soon as we got in the pen with the animals (there were a LOT of people in there) every time an animal (mostly goats and sheep) came near us, she would back away. She said she wanted to pet a "small" animal, but really all of them, if they were standing, were bigger than her. She wouldn't even pet the ones that were lying down. If she had brought food with her, they most certainly would have been more aggressive towards her. After a few minutes I had enough and I pulled her out of there. I suppose that she liked the idea of the petting zoo, but she really seemed too afraid to touch any of the animals.

DD was the only one that wanted to put her head through one of these thingies for a photo op. In fact, she was the only one interested in doing anything. The boys really seemed a bit uninterested in the whole livestock show/rodeo thing. DH and I were a little miffed at them because they pretty much started asking to go home after the Borden area and the CSI show. DS#3 might have enjoyed it a bit more but we went during nap time and he was intermittently very unhappy. Oh well, it was something fun and different to do, anyway!

4 comments:

The Mom said...

We didn't do the CSI one, i wasn't sure how the littlest guy would do during it. Weren't the Border milkshakes the best!! I split a chocolate one with the older one and it was so YUMMY!!

Catherine said...

Sounds like it was a pretty interesting day, even if your boys were sticks-in-the-mud about staying. :)

Cynthia Baldwin said...

you know, I don't remember the last time my family did anything spontaneous like this, except maybe decide to go to dinner! Glad you enjoyed part of the show, at least, and you DID get a photo of Alex smiling! :)

Pam Sivage said...

Sounds like the Borden milkshakes were the bes thing around! Petting zoos with goats are annoying,they tend to eat your clothes or any other loose object.