Wednesday, July 01, 2009

No Wheels

The title is "No Wheels" because of the big two-year-old truck than ran DH and I over last night. DS#3 awakened screaming some time around 1am this morning. His diaper had leaked, but changing it wasn't enough to stop the screaming. We knew he had conjunctivitis when he went to bed, and when he awakened he seemed warm plus he was coughing and congested, so DH went to Walgreen's at 1:30am to get some ibuprofen and allergy stuff. Luckily, DD is a heavy sleeper and barely remembered this episode in the morning. DH and I were really dragging today (especially DH, who bore the brunt of it).

I also titled this "No Wheels" because we walked a lot today. We took the Metro but had to walk a bit to get to the Washington Monument. We had "tickets" for noon, so we had some time to check out the Smithsonian Castle, which was the first building of the Smithsonian Institute. The picture above was taken from the top of the Washington Monument. Too bad it was such a hazy day, but it was still pretty cool to be able to see so far. After that we went to the Jefferson Memorial.

That brings me to the final reason why I titled this "No Wheels". DH adamantly stated that the Jefferson Memorial is the most stroller and wheelchair unfriendly building we've encountered thus far in D.C. He had to walk all the way around the large building in order to find a way in without using steps. The other buildings have had ramps alongside the steps.

I haven't asked the family what their favorite part of today has been yet, but right now I'm guessing it will be playing in the pool (which they're doing right now) or getting some ice cream at Walgreen's on the way back to the hotel. DH is considering going back out to the monuments this evening when they're all lit up. We'll see how energetic we are later.

1 comment:

Cynthia Baldwin said...

oh no! Sorry the baby is feeling bad. Hope you were able to get some sleep tonight.