Friday, July 31, 2009

Our Wonderful Babysitter

DH and I have an excellent babysitter; it's DS#1. Today when I got home from work, DS#1 was watching his siblings while DH ran to the store. He had just finished changing DS#3's nasty diaper. I didn't see the diaper, but the smell was still in the gameroom even after DS#1 had bagged the diaper and thrown it away downstairs.

Later tonight, DH and I went out to dinner and left the kids in the care of DS#1. Not only did he feed the kids, but he dealt with a fussy, napless 2-year-old. DS#3 was refusing to eat and refusing very loudly at that. He had eaten a large lunch and some large snacks just before dinner, so DH and I weren't worried about him starving. DS#1 ended up letting DS#3 watch Thomas the Tank Engine videos to calm him down. Later, DS#2 discovered DS#3 asleep with the video still running so DS#1 put him in his bed.

DH and I saw the new Harry Potter movie tonight, and near the end of it, DS#1 sent us a text message saying that DS#3 had awakened after 3 or so hours and that all he wanted to do was sit on the sofa and drink milk. By the time we got home, though, DS#1 had handled the situation like a pro and had convinced DS#3 to change into his night clothes and get back in bed. DS#3 fell asleep in the 10 minutes or so that it took us to get home.

This is a picture that I took yesterday of DS#1 playing with DS#3. They were touching noses through the bannister. DS#1 is SUCH a good big brother AND he's a terrific babysitter. DH and I are VERY lucky.

2 comments:

The Mom said...

You are so lucky!! Wished we lived closer so I could hire him to watch the boys, then Darren and I might actually get out sometimes!!

Catherine said...

That is such a sweet photo! DH and I have often thought that having a kid old enough to babysit and carrying a cell phone (that technology thing again) was just so liberating.