Saturday, May 07, 2011

Rocket Launch

One of the big projects for Alex this year was to build a rocket and then the whole sixth grade would get together to launch the rockets. Today was the rescheduled date for Alex's rocket launch. They were originally supposed to do this in March, but that was on one of the very few days that it rained, so it was postponed until today.

This is the only "good" picture I have of Alex with his rocket pre-launch. I was taking photos of everything. Every time he saw me with the camera, he would walk away or give me that "if looks could kill" look. He did "pose" for one picture after I gave him a hard time in front of one of his teachers, but this one is actually better.

This is a picture of one of the tables they had set up for the launches. Alex's rocket is the black one that is launching. No fancy painting or other colors on his. He just wanted plain black.

Patrick did the spray painting and he thought some of the paint got on the tube that fits on the metal rod from which the rocket launched. The rocket didn't slide off properly. That meant that Alex's rocket didn't fly as high or as far as some of the other rockets.

It was a cloudy morning, but the sun broke through just before Alex's group launched their rockets, which made it painful to watch the rockets fly into the sky. This picture makes me smile because Eric has a clump of grass clutched in one hand while the other hand is shielding his eyes from the sun.

We would have stayed a little longer so I could take a picture of Alex taking measurements and such, but Eric really wanted to go home. I was a little surprised because he seemed to really enjoy watching the rockets. Natalie might have enjoyed watching this, but she opted to stay home and read. Anthony was definitely interested, but he has several ongoing projects that he wanted to work on.

We don't have much scheduled this weekend. I hope tomorrow will be a very relaxing day for us.

No comments: