Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kids At Cross Country

I had some trouble uploading photos to the computer last night and it was getting late, so I decided to post the photos starting today instead. Yesterday Anthony and I left the house around 5:30am to get him to school by 6am. Ouch! I didn't learn until later that he was going to be running with the JV at 10am instead of 9am with Varsity. That meant that he wouldn't be able to be at his 10am soccer game at all. I went by the grocery store on the way home. The store was amazingly empty at 6am on a Saturday morning.

The kids were already up by the time I got home. Patrick and Alex left the house around 7:30am for Alex's soccer game. The little ones and I left the house around 8:30am to have breakfast at Starbucks. Eric can take a good half hour to eat, but this time it only took him around 10 minutes. We had time to play at home before we left at 9:30am for the track meet.

The kiddos have never been to one of these meets before. We had to park on the grass at the side of the road. When we got out, Eric got upset because we weren't bringing chairs to sit on. We only had to walk a short distance before we got to the starting line where Anthony was already lined up, but I almost had to drag Eric along. He did finally say "hi" to Anthony.

This is just a picture of Anthony with a friend of his, C.S. who is also on the school soccer team. I was happy that I was able to capture a moment from the start of the race since it's usually a mass of bodies and it's hard to focus on just Anthony.

The rest of the time Natalie and Eric found a shady spot under a tree to play in the dirt. They barely wanted to stop to see Anthony running by a second time and then across the finish line. At least they weren't complaining and at least they didn't get filthy.

Anthony finished in around 20:25. I don't know what the official time was, but that's the time on the big digital timer at the finish line. Anthony didn't feel great about it. He hoped to do better, but at least that's about a minute faster than the last time he ran this course.

As we were leaving, Eric asked why Anthony was "all wet". Natalie explained to him that Anthony had worked very hard and that he was sweating. I was amused, as always, by Eric's unique perspective.

I took a lot of photos and we did a lot this weekend, so I'll post them slowly over the next couple of days. Our next stop was the Halloween Spooktacular.

No comments: