Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kinder Round Up

Tonight, at our local elementary school, they had a "Kinder Round Up". Basically, incoming kindergarten students could come in and see the school including the four kindergarten classrooms, and their parents could be oriented to some of the policies of the school and what their children would be taught in kindergarten. Eric was so excited to see the "big kid school"!

After I parked the car, he was basically running toward the school, with me in tow. He got a little wild while we were waiting for the introduction, but not too bad. He certainly wouldn't sit still enough for me to take a picture. This is one I managed to get in focus as he was goofing around and lunging toward the camera.

We visited four classrooms. In the first one, he sat very still on the big carpet in the middle of the room, criss-cross applesauce. In the second classroom he started goofing off with a girl that he knew. I had to threaten him that we would leave--he very much wanted to stay and visit all the classrooms!

In the third room he started to lie down and he was wiggly. By the last room (see picture) he was just lying down. Overall, I have to say that he was fairly well behaved, especially in comparison to the other kids in our group. Natalie came with us and she even listened to everything that was said, even though I offered to let her play quietly on the iPad.

Natalie also came because I had promised her that in order to "celebrate" Eric's tour of the school, I would take both of them to Orange Leaf, a local frozen yogurt place. She's been begging me to go there. Because it was getting so late after visiting all of those classrooms, Eric luckily didn't mind missing the last part where the kids could get on a real school bus and see what it was like to sit in it.

Eric got the mango-flavored yogurt with strawberries, although he decided that he didn't want the strawberries after he ate one with the yogurt. Natalie had the chocolate and vanilla swirl. I had the strawberry flavor with strawberries. Eric also loves the funky shaped orange spoons there and he asked if we could take our spoons home. This time I refused.

We received instructions on how to register Eric for kindergarten tonight. A couple of the ladies from the PTA came up to us and said, "Oh that's right. He's the last one." Sniff, sniff. I was okay tonight, but I'm not quite sure how I'll handle the first day of school in August.

No comments: