Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ski Day #2

We got up early to go skiing again today. Patrick said that he is tired of waking people up and being greeted with groans and general unhappiness. The kids and I all had lessons again today. Alex missed so much yesterday, but he felt a lot better today. He and Anthony even went up the mountain again after our lesson was over. Natalie and I went to watch Eric at his lesson.

For today's lesson, we went up to the top of the mountain a couple of times. That gave us more time to practice what David our instructor was telling us since we didn't have to keep getting on the ski lift. It was also sunnier up there and therefore warmer, which was nice. David also thought the snow was a bit better up there. There were some icy parts further down.

Anthony took this photo in the morning before skiing. Eric was so happy to be skiing again. His instructor told me after his lesson that he was such a joy to have in her class. She said that he was always smiling and that he was doing so well.

When I watched him ski down the hill, he was mostly with another instructor who was always holding his hands. They were doing that for the other three kids in his class too. On the final run, they let go and just let him ski. He started waving his arms around like he was out of control, and then he just sat down. I guess he didn't know how to stop on his own. He really wanted to ski again tomorrow. As he put it, he wanted to go to the "next flag". We're going to take it easy tomorrow, though. The other kids are tired and they want to play with the snow forts they made in the backyard. I'm sure I'll have pictures to share tomorrow.

One more thing, I mentioned to the kids the possibility of going to lunch at Wendy's after skiing. Anthony said at that point that because I mentioned it, we had to go there. It was funny how excited they all got about going there. Anthony ordered the Double Baconator, of course, and the other three got the Spicy Chicken Nuggets. They all ate 10 pieces each. That's how hungry Eric was. All four of them got Frosties too--Alex and Eric with vanilla and Natalie and Anthony with chocolate. For them that was the perfect end to our second and final day of skiing.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Hey Melanie - I meant to email you before you came out, but when we were up there in February, we went to this Ice Castle they have in Silverthorne. It was really neat. You can buy a ticket that gets you in all day so you can go see the ice formation in the day and then again at night. It was really neat and te kids really enjoyed it. They are located on the main street in Silverthorne right beyond the Wendy's near the fishing store. If you have one time with nothing to do, I would highly suggest it. I think you would all enjoy it!