The weather was so beautiful this weekend. This is the time of year where we're grateful to live where we live--sunny with temperatures in the 70s. Eric got some play time outside in the backyard on Saturday. He pretty much played by himself, but I went out there to enjoy the weather and so I could watch him. Every so often he came up to me for a hug and kiss, and then he would go along on his merry way. I loved that!
We also went to the library to pick up a book Natalie had reserved. Her GT (Gifted and Talented) teacher had suggested this book for them to read over the Thanksgiving break. She's so excited about reading that she wanted to do this even if it wasn't required. Luckily it became available at our local library so we didn't have to end up buying it. It's a good problem when your child ignores you because she's reading--at least we try to remind ourselves of that.
I helped Eric pick out some books at the library--four involved stories about dinosaurs. I started reading one to him and I stopped at the "popcorn" words and let him read those by himself. He said them rather quietly but clearly. By the end of the book, I started letting him sound out all of the small words--future popcorn words that he'll be learning in school. He could read all of them. He can read "dinosaur", of course, so there were some sentences that he could basically read by himself. It's been amazing to see his reading really take off since school started.
I took this first picture at Barnes and Noble later on Saturday. We wanted to be outside and so we braved the mall just because it's the "outside mall", as Eric puts it. I was amused at his awkward way of squatting to read various dinosaur books. Never mind that there was a table and chairs about two feet away. He is going to be another reader that will ignore us!
Today was very relaxed. The boys didn't even get up until around 10:30-11. They both didn't bother eating breakfast. Natalie and I went out to Target at around 11:30 and I got a few bags of the Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark to give to teachers. I also bought a few home decor items; I can't get enough out of red Christmas-y items. We got back home, had lunch, then I was out again to take Alex to JCPenney. He wanted some new jeans, and I saw some jeans advertised there that he might like. Alex's current jeans are a size 28 x 30 and Anthony's are 29 x 32. It was tough trying to find jeans with waist sizes under 30, let alone ones with the 32 inch inseam for Anthony. Luckily, we did find some suitable ones. I was a little surprised at how much he seemed to enjoy clothes shopping. He proclaimed after our shopping trip that he liked JCPenney!
This evening, Alex spread out newspaper all over the dining table so he could clean his shoes. Sorry for the bad photo, but I have to be secretive when I take photos of him! He really does seem to care about how he looks and puts in the effort to make sure his shoes look good, too. He loves to spend money on clothes and accessories, but we should be thankful that he has his own sense of style.
We went to church tonight and then picked up Chipotle for dinner. We would have done out to eat, except that Patrick wanted to be able to watch the Packers vs. Giants game tonight. I wish I could say that we are thankful that the Packers are winning, but alas, that is not the case. At least he had the opportunity to watch the game! ;)


No comments:
Post a Comment