Tuesday, November 27, 2012

30 Days of Gratitude: Days 26 and 27

No pictures today, or yesterday--too tired. Going back to school and work hit us all with a bang, but I'm supposed to be documenting what we're thankful for this month, so I have to say that I'm thankful that I have a job I enjoy and that pays well. I'm thankful that the kids love their schools and teachers, except maybe for Alex, but then he loves his school friends.

Yesterday was also the start of our "new" schedule with the introduction of after school high school soccer practices for Anthony. That meant that yesterday, Patrick waited for Eric to get home on the bus, gave him a snack, then picked up Natalie from the middle school from her Strings class. I headed home from work and on the way, picked up Alex from the school bus stop at the other middle school. Patrick left the house with Eric and Alex at 5:30 to take Alex to soccer practice, then from there went to pick up Anthony at school. He came home with Eric and Anthony, got Eric ready for bed, then went back to pick up Alex from soccer practice. I left the house before 6pm to take Natalie to swimming, and when we got back at about 8:30, Alex was already in the shower and Patrick was making a pizza for Alex and Anthony to eat.

This week, Eric also starts basketball practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-7:30pm. Patrick has already said that he won't try to make it to both practices, but Eric does need a bit of practice, as do all the kids on his team. There is apparently only one kid that can make a basket. That will make it tough when our team faces some of the other teams that seem to be more "hard core". Still, Eric has a lot of fun, as evidenced by his being thankful for his "basketball teacher" at Thanksgiving.

So today, Natalie didn't have Strings, so she and Eric both came home on the bus. I picked up Alex on the way home again. This time, Patrick left the house at 5:30 to pick up Anthony, whose practice ends a little before 6pm. He came home and took Eric to basketball practice. They got there about 15 minutes late, but there was no way to get there earlier. I had the same schedule with taking Natalie to swimming. One of the other moms whose daughter swims with Natalie said that she doesn't know how we do it, but she has a similar basketball/swimming schedule and she is basically a single mom whose husband only gets to come home every couple of months. That just put it all in perspective. I am thankful that my kids are involved in extracurricular activities that they love. I am thankful that Patrick and I can do this as a team and not alone. I am thankful that we are able to do this for the kids and spend so much time with them. They will all be grown up and gone too soon.

No comments: