Just last Saturday, Anthony came home for the first time since Christmas. In the blink of an eye, he left this afternoon. :(
I took this blurry photo at dinner last night. Anthony spent the night at his friend Alejandro's house on Wednesday, and Alejandro came over to our house last night, and had dinner with us at El Mirasol. El Mirasol was one of Anthony's list of places he had to visit while he was in town. He had his usual Chicken Flautas. Eric was going around the table hugging everyone, so I snagged this picture while he was with Anthony. Both Anthony and Alejandro made this their profile photo on Facebook. :)
This morning, before I took Natalie and Eric to Starbucks for breakfast and then drove them to school, they said their goodbyes to Anthony, who had been asleep upstairs (he didn't mind, of course). When Natalie came downstairs, she was in tears. I couldn't get her to smile after that, but at least I tried to make her feel better by buying her favorite things at Starbucks. Eric at least knew that he would see Anthony at lunchtime.
Eric had "Kids' Cafe" today during his lunch period at school. That's when the kids get rewarded for good behavior by being allowed to eat with someone of their choosing on the stage (which is in their cafeteria. He asked Anthony to eat with him. Sweet! Anthony brought Eric's "usual"--Wendy's spicy chicken nuggets and a vanilla Frosty. He brought him 10 nuggets (instead of the usual 8 that I bring him--Eric's request) and a medium vanilla Frosty (I usually get him the small). Apparently, Eric ate everything.
Anthony then entertained Eric and his friends with some jokes. Patrick texted Anthony during lunch and asked him if lunch was going okay. Anthony texted back that Eric's friends liked his jokes. That meant that they were enjoying each other's company.
When I picked up Eric from the school bus this afternoon, I told him that Anthony had just left for the airport. He said, "You mean I don't get to say good bye to him?" I pointed out to him that he had gotten to see Anthony at lunch. Eric told me about one of the jokes that Anthony told him (and his friends). Eric said, "What's the opposite of a flamingo?" The answer was "Flaminstop." That is definitely a joke for an eight-year-old! Apparently also, when Eric introduced Anthony as his older brother, Anthony said, "No, we're twins. I'm in second grade." Thankfully, Eric's friends were smart enough to realize that wasn't true.
Tonight, when I was putting Eric in bed, I told him that I needed a big hug because I already missed Anthony. Eric replied, "I can give you lots of hugs." At first he started saying, "for the next 12 years", then he must have realized that the math wasn't exactly right, so he changed it to "for a long time". I do love my Eric hugs. They're not exactly like Anthony hugs, but I will definitely take them. I miss my oldest big boy already.

No comments:
Post a Comment