I requested this day off several months ago, because the Friday before the end of school is usually Field Day for Eric's school. Patrick and I have volunteered at Field Day for several years now. I volunteered to set-up and usually we both volunteer for the snow cone station, but that was already taken by the time I saw the sign-up sheet. It didn't matter what we had signed for anyway, because that all changed when they decided that the threat of rain was too high and they moved the whole event indoors.
I got up early so I could make Eric's requested breakfast--orange rolls. I had to be at school at 7:15 (or so I thought), so I took Eric with me. It rained quite a bit last night, so at that time in the morning, plus the fact that the temperature felt cool, I was sure that it was going to rain again soon. Patrick had to take Alex to school, so he came later.
There were lots of people there to help set up, more than what was needed, but there was less set-up for the indoor activities. There was a fire drill in the middle of set-up, so we all had to stop to go outside for that. Apparently, several people backed out of volunteering at the last minute last night, so they did need everyone that showed up for the activities after the set-up.
They changed everyone's assignments because of the change in activities, instead of the "Cooling Station/Playscape" where I would be in charge of giving out water to the kids and supervising them in the playground, I got assigned to "Tether Ball". I had signed up for the former so I could stay in the shade. Instead, I got the one activity that was outside. It was actually nice and cool during the time I was there--until about 10:30. It was even sunny. After canceling all of the water activities that were supposed to be outside and moving everything else inside, it didn't rain at all the rest of the day.
Patrick volunteered for the obstacle course--one of those inflatable obstacle courses. He brought me some sunglasses to wear, because I had not anticipated having to be outside nor I had anticipated that it would be sunny. I also switched around with another mom so I wouldn't have to be out in the sun the whole time. There fewer indoor activities than all of the outdoor ones, so there were plenty of volunteers. I felt a little superfluous sometimes, so I rotated to various other activities to lend a hand.
One of those activities was Tug of War. Earlier, a couple of the Dads were volunteering there, and they ended up participating in the activity. The kids had a lot of fun even when the parents weren't joining in. When I helped out at one point, I found myself making sure the kids didn't start pulling too early, trying to make sure at least it started fairly. Eric came in around that point, so I took some photos of him pulling the rope with everyone else. Sometimes it would be girls vs. boys. Sometimes the sides would be so obviously unequal. They let the kids go to whatever activity they wanted, instead of the more organized movement from one station to another in past years, but in the end, the kids still had fun, which was the important part.
After the end of my third shift/hour, I signed Eric out from school so I could spend the rest of the day with him. I was going to put everything in this one post, but it's already too long, so I'll post about the rest of the day tomorrow. Now, I have to go to bed, because the first summer swim meet is tomorrow morning.

No comments:
Post a Comment