Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day Monday

After all of that activity on Saturday, we spent most of Sunday at home. We did venture out to the movie theatre to see Tomorrowland, a new movie starring George Clooney. Alex actually got up "early" and went with us to the 11:30 showing. We've been enjoying seeing more movies at the theatre this past year or so. Yes, it's pricier than seeing it at home, especially when you factor in the obligatory popcorn and Blue Raspberry Icee, but it's fun with the whole family, especially. Eric got so excited at some of the special effects and dialogue in parts of this movie, that he got a bit loud at times. I love seeing him that excited.

It rained a little on Sunday, but not nearly as bad as it did on Saturday. It was supposed to rain again on Monday, so Patrick decided to grill burgers on Sunday instead. We spent the rest of the day at home, even Alex.

After breakfast at Starbucks today (more on that tomorrow), I took Eric to Target. We were almost out of paper supplies, and I love looking around at Target. Eric was acting particularly goofy. At one point I looked back at him, and he was about to step in amongst the paper towel packages. He actually stopped when he saw me, but I couldn't resist getting a quick photo, so he pretended he was doing it again, complete with mischievous smile, and I got this photo.

We thought it was going to rain all day again, although the sky was brighter than it has been, so we decided to go to North Star mall because it's indoors and we could keep dry. This time, Alex went with us, and Eric didn't bring a book.

Every store we went into, Eric immediately looked for a place to sit. Usually it was a table with folded clothes, but occasionally he would start playing inside the clothing racks. At JC Penney, he decided to try to climb onto one of the beds in the bedding department. He had a lot of trouble because the beds were so high, but finally he made it. Natalie saw him and decided to climb up on one of the other beds. I immediately pulled out my camera, and she immediately hid her face behind a pillow. This past week when she wanted a photo of herself with Patrick, we couldn't find one she liked. Either she didn't like her face or her hair. Of course her face is hidden in many of the other photos.

Eventually, Eric couldn't take the waiting anymore and he started asking to play on my phone. I let him play in short spurts, because the games he plays eat up my battery life. At Hollister, he found this comfy chair to sit in, that seemed a little closer to his height than that bed I mentioned above or some of the other chairs, so I took a picture of him--then I gave him my phone to play with.

Alex and Natalie both got some more clothes. There were some pretty good sales, and Alex never wants to pass up a good sale. He was so funny--when he got home, he laid out his new stuff on his bed so he could look at them/take a picture. Natalie was enjoying trying on clothes, too. It takes her a couple of days to get hers out of the bag and hung up, though. In the end, I think I bought two shirts, and the rest of our purchases were for Natalie and Alex. No wonder Patrick doesn't want me to go to the mall with them--it gets expensive. ;) At least everything we bought was at least 40% off.

To close this post, I have to mention that Memorial Day isn't really about the sales or the cookouts. Working in a military hospital, I'm acutely aware of what holidays like Memorial Day are really about. I've personally seen too many fallen soldiers, and we should all remember them and their families for their sacrifice. Freedom isn't free.

No comments: