Friday, April 27, 2007

Slower Pace

The kids were off from school today for the Battle of Flowers. DH and I had planned on going to IHOP this morning, but those plans were thrown for a loop when DS#3 stayed awake again at 2AM last night. DH had let me sleep, so he was exhausted this morning and really needed to "sleep in". By 8:30AM, the kids and I were so hungry that I couldn't wait any longer.

The service at IHOP was horrible. It took us about 45 minutes to get our food, and two parties that sat down half an hour after we did got their food about five minutes after we did. Since DH used to work at a restaurant in high school and his sister used to be a waitress, he usually empathasizes with the wait staff, but today, he was so mad that he left less than 10% for a tip. Still, I got my favorite blueberry pancakes and my tummy was happy. Of course, it was so late by the time we ate that none of us ate any official lunch today.

It was such a nice day, despite being overcast that we all took a walk in the neighborhood when we got home. The boys wanted to go exploring in one of the greenbelts near our house, so DH went with them and Grandma, DD, DS#3 and I took a shorter route. Despite the cooler temperature, DD started complaining about being hot after about two blocks, so we didn't go very far. DS#3 got to try out the stroller and was asleep the whole time. I got very sleepy after our walk so DS#3 and I took a little nap when we got home while DD and Grandma played outside. That nap did wonders for me.

This evening, I took DD to a birthday party with her PreK friends. I got to hang out with adults, which was great. I chatted with one lady whose baby boy is now six weeks old, and another lady who is due tomorrow. I also got to chat with some good friends of mine that took care of my kids when I was in the hospital. I haven't felt too social lately, but I had fun tonight.

We only have two games this weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday plus we're going to hang out at our friends' house (and pool) tomorrow for a barbecue. This weekend is at a much slower pace than last weekend. Thank goodness!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Darling pictures!!

Sorry about the no sleep thing! I remember that and really feel for ya! Hopefully he will get the sleep thing figured out soon!!

It's awful having bad restaurant service, I usually try to empathize too because I used to waitress, but when everyone gets their food before you, there is a definate problem! UGH!

Catherine said...

Sounds like you are enjoying the slower pace!

Anita said...

Oh, don't get me started on bad service. John and I went to lunch the other day and since it took ten minutes to even get someone to take a drink order, we decided to leave. Big pet peeve.
Glad you are enjoying the slow pace.