Sunday, May 04, 2008

First Haircut

DS#3's hair has been getting a bit long in places. I wasn't in a hurry to get it cut because he really doesn't have too much hair anyway. I knew my mom was going to visit this weekend, so she volunteered to cut his hair. That was probably our first mistake. We should have probably just gone to the hair salon or barbershop and just paid someone to cut his hair. If nothing else, they probably would have been quicker. On the other hand, he probably wouldn't have allowed a stranger to cut his hair. Our second mistake was doing this near his afternoon nap time. Still, he did well for the first five to six minutes or so. Oh, and we forgot to get a "before" picture, but these pics were taken just after the first few snips in the very back.

The following time line was reconstructed using the time stamp on my digital camera.

About 1:00PM--My mom and I take DS#3 outside. My dear sis comes with us at my request so she can take some pictures. He does okay at first. He gets a toy to distract him, and my mom starts to use a comb/scissor combo that she uses when cutting my dad's hair.



















1:02:38--DS#3 starts losing his patience with us. He starts to screech whenever he feels that comb at the back of his neck. Since his hair is so fine and "flyaway", some time in the next couple of minutes we decide to wet his hair to make it lay flatter.

1:06:30--We've switched to me cutting his hair because Mom seems a bit more hesitant. She doesn't like to hear DS#3 when he is unhappy...and he is certainly not happy by this point.

1:07:49--Some time before this, we switch back to Mom cutting his hair because now I have to hold his head to keep him from getting poked with the scissors.


1:11:46--DH comes outside. After watching from inside, he has to get closer to observe up close how the baby is being tortured. He tries to distract DS#3 but then he starts trying to help by holding the baby's head. Soon after this, I start cutting DS's hair again, because my mom gets too afraid to cut DS's hair and I just want to get this over with.


1:13:52--We decide that the haircut is as good as it's going to get. After all, DS#3 still did have a slight bald spot at the back of his head anyway from when he was about three months old and always lying on his back.


1:18--DS#3 is now "safe and sound" in DS#1's lap. DS#1 is very good at comforting his baby brother.


We'll see what happens when it's time for the second haircut...

I'll have to take some "after" photos tomorrow. :)

6 comments:

The Mom said...

Aww the poor thing!!

Karen said...

How cute!! I can't wait to see the layout. I loved that last photo!

Pam Sivage said...

LOL!Love the pictures! This will be such a cute layout!

Anonymous said...

ROFL!!! I'm all teary - that was so funny reliving it through your timeline!! :D I hope we didn't scar him for life. Did it really take all that time to cut his tiny flyaway hairs? too too funny...

Anonymous said...

oh hey - you forgot to include the part where Patrick said, "I know what's going to be on Melanie's blog tonight!" ;)

Catherine said...

Awwwww.....I just love the photo of him with big brother!