Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 2 Cousins

Today was a beautiful day. The temperatures were in the 60s this morning. It was a little cool and more windy, but still very nice. The sun was out more today, but it never got too hot--maybe in the mid-70s, and not humid at all. The kids wanted to go outside at 8AM, but we persuaded them to wait until closer to 10AM. In the meantime, Grandma made pancakes for everyone for breakfast. She even made chocolate chip pancakes, which were a big hit, of course. Later, around 9:30AM, DH and I took a walk with DS#3 riding in the stroller. DS#3 had been so frantic to go outside--a mixture of intense desire to be outside and fatigue from being up since before 6AM. There were lots of houses for sale, and DH and I talked about someday owning a place on a lake somewhere. I just think it is so relaxing to just sit and watch the water from the window.

DS#3 fell asleep in the stroller on the way back from our walk. The kids had gone out to play in the lake, so the boys were already out there on the kayaks when we got back. DD was playing with that bucket and shovel again and later, when DS#3 awakened from his short nap, he was out there trying to take that away from DD again.

The wind picked up, so it got a bit too cool to sit outside. Most of us sat inside to eat lunch. After lunch, the kids started playing with DH's old Lincoln Logs. I tried to get DS#3 to nap again, but I was largely unsuccessful. Luckily, DH had the magic touch--well, either that or DS#3 was too tired after fighting with me for an hour.

When we awakened, DH's cousin (I'll call her C1) was here with her two boys. Her oldest is about a year older than DS#1, and her youngest was about 6 months older than DS#2. They didn't have too much time to really start playing with each other. They were invited elsewhere and had to leave after a short visit. They did manage to chase each other around with the water guns for a little while--proving to all that they were all indeed "boys". Oh, and they also attacked the chips, salsa, cheese, and crackers that my mother-in-law put out for people to snack on. Yes, I'm well aware of how big an appetite those "boys" can have! :)

By then, DH's other cousin (I'll call her C2) arrived with her three boys. Her oldest is about DS#2's age, and she also has 2 1/2 year old twins. DS#2 hit it off with the oldest boy. They chased each other around, went into the lake in the kayaks, and just seemed to enjoy themselves. C2 (who is C1's younger sister, by the way) was busy chasing her twins around. They were like my own DS#3 multiplied by two--always on the go. She just started potty-training them this week. This meant that she was constantly asking them if they needed to "go potty". This also meant that they would just pull down their pull-ups and go behind the bushes. They were exhausting to watch!

I wish that I could have had more time to chat with C1. I'm thankful that C2 was able to stay for a while so I had some time to chat with her. They both are such nice people and so easy to talk to. They have another sister with three boys. It would be so cool to someday get a photo of all of their kids with my kids and my sister-in-law's son. That's 12 boys and 1 girl! Oh boy, what a fun party that would be! :)

No comments: