Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

The morning started with some negotiations. We were going to go to the neighborhood parade/get-together, and DH and I wanted everyone to wear red, white, and blue. DS#2 had been wearing an orange shirt, but he finally changed into one of his sport-type shirts. DD had been wearing a new navy/turquoise shirt that she just loved, and she didn't want to change her shirt at all. When she found this cute little cheerleader outfit from Gymboree that we just bought yesterday, then she gladly changed her clothes. DS#3 was wearing something red, white, and blue that had buttons down the front so that it could be removed without having to be pulled over his head. We've had some containment leaks lately...


I managed to get a photo of the family in their red, white, and blue clothing (obviously unposed). We walked to the parade site. The weather was already hot and steamy at 10AM. The parade consisted of two fire trucks followed by a couple of cars sporting large flags waving in the back, and then the rest were people walking, riding bicycles, and pulling wagons/pushing strollers. We really only went around the block, and near the end, DD started complaining that her legs hurt. At least by then I was able to entice her by telling her that they were offering popsicles at the end of the parade. They also had cookies and bottled water, but DD had three popsicles.

After lunch, we went to the pool. DS#3 has been enjoying the pool more lately, and he kept busy this time playing with balls. He has a cute way of throwing them so that they actually end up going backwards. We did manage to enjoy the pool for a few minutes before it started raining. The rain really didn't bother us too much, although the rain itself was cold, especially when I wasn't physically in the water. It started raining so hard, however, that they closed the pool.

DD and I made chocolate cupcakes. She's been wanting to make them ever since we bought the red, white, and blue cupcake liners at Hobby Lobby last week. In the evening, DH grilled steaks. Shortly before 9PM, DH took the older three to see fireworks at the nearby Six Flags. He actually parked in the mall parking lot close to the park, and apparently this was not an original idea. It was still a good idea, however, since this year, it didn't take him long at all to get back home after the fireworks.

I hope everyone else is having a very enjoyable and very fun Fourth of July!

8 comments:

Monica K said...

Looks like you guys had an awesome day!!! Love all the photos! They're getting so big but are still soooooooo adorable!

Laura said...

Sounds like a fun day! Sorry you got rained out at the pool though!

Emma said...

Great photos - sounds like you had a good day overall.

Pam Sivage said...

Sounds like a super fun day! You could send some rain our way! DS#1 is certainly growing into a handsome young man!!

Rachael said...

Sounds like a great day, despite the rain!!

I love the family picture!!

I can't believe how big your little guy is getting!!

Rachael said...

Sounds like a great day, despite the rain!!

I love the family picture!!

I can't believe how big your little guy is getting!!

Carolyn F said...

Great pictures. Your oldest is certainly getting TALL!

Catherine said...

I love the photo of the family in their patriotic duds!