Saturday, January 10, 2009

Giving Me a Little Break

Today we went to Mission San Jose (see photo) because they were having some sort of "Get Outdoors, It's Yours!" event to promote getting kids outside. It wasn't what we expected, with little booths instead of things going on in the wide open so you could see everything. There were also lots of people and we generally like to avoid the big crowds. Still the family enjoyed walking around the grounds and it was a nice visit.

The Mission San Jose is actually an active Catholic parish, so there is a small church there. We went in there and lit a few candles for my uncle. The kids felt better about "doing something" for him, and so did I. They also learned that when you blow out flame on the stick that you used to light the candle, you need to face away from the candle.

I feel like DH has already beaten me to the punch. He already posted this photo and the next one on his blog tonight. We were near the River Walk so we went ahead and had lunch at the Food Court at Rivercenter Mall. The boys killed time while DD and I were in Bath and Body Works. That girl LOVES Bath and Body Works. Anyway, DS#3 had fun looking at the water and all the birds that always seem to hang out at the River Walk.

After lunch where DS#3 ate lots of my pepper steak (mostly rice), we had dessert. I love the soft cinnamon sugar pretzels at Auntie Anne's. DS#2 and DD helped me with mine so I was able to have enough to satisfy my craving but not enough that I felt too guilty. DH took the other two boys to Great American Cookie Company. DS#3 looked too cute sitting on the floor of the mall so DH snapped a few photos. This one is just too adorable, so I'm planning to use it for my photo of the day today.

After this, we went home. DS#2 and DD played outside with their friends. DS#1 went to a friend's house. DS#3 and I napped. DH got some work done. We went out to dinner at Chili's tonight. It was a nice relaxing day with a little bit of everything. I even took a short trip to a nearby scrapbook store. I really needed this day!

I didn't post my photo of the day for yesterday. I chose this one of my two youngest children. They were both playing on these wiggle racers and having so much fun being with each other. Suddenly they both stopped right in front of me, so I quickly snapped this photo. I wished that I had set the flash to go off, because I had to lighten their faces considerably, but I just love the look of joy on their faces!

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm glad you had a day to relax and regroup after the week you've had! I loved seeing the photo of the mission, it's beautiful! And, as always, the photos of the kids are so cute!

Helmka Family said...

Looks like a fun time! Love all the photos! You have a beautiful family.
TFS!
Karen

Pam Sivage said...

sounds like a fun relaxing day!