Friday, May 15, 2009

Our Little Fish

DD has always been fearless around water, unlike her older brothers. Unfortunately, DS#3 seems to be following in her footsteps, so we'll need to watch him even more carefully around the pool this summer.

Nightly swim team practice started this week, but tonight was the first night that DD and DS#1 went to practice because of all of the soccer mayhem this week. DD just jumped in and not only showed that she can swim the length of the pool, but also do it while talking (see picture). After about the third time back and forth without stopping, she was very tired, but she forged ahead. I don't know much about swimming, but I thought she did very well for her first practice.

One of the things DD was prattling on about was the fact that she "didn't want to do backstroke" because she wasn't "very good at backstroke". She said this in a "matter of fact" tone and not in her usual whining tone, so I let her prattle on. I thought she did well. Even though she kept swimming into the dividers, she kept going and again made it to the end of the pool. She looked excited when she finished, too.

At the end of practice they got to have popsicles. I guess they get a treat every Friday after practice. Her face just lit up. My DD certainly loves sugary snacks, and especially ice cream, so this was the perfect end to practice for our little fish.

No comments: