Alex has been asking all week if he can have a friend sleep over tomorrow. He really likes the idea of sleep overs and he hasn't had anyone over since his birthday summer. Patrick was a little hesitant to consent because I'm on backup/late call tomorrow and so he would likely be picking Anthony up from school, for one. For another, Anthony has a soccer game early on Saturday, and since I'm on backup call, I always have the potential to get called in and it's "dangerous" to leave the kids with me. Well, he went ahead and told Alex he could have a friend over but the friend that Alex chose didn't want to sleep over because he doesn't get any sleep when he sleeps over at someone's house. I don't think I've heard of a ten-year-old that didn't jump at the chance to sleep over at a friend's house but there you have it. Alex would normally have wanted to invite a "second choice" over but he and Patrick had talked ahead of time about how he didn't want Alex to say, "Well, so and so couldn't sleep over so I invited you." Alex hasn't yet learned what he should and shouldn't say to other people.
Tomorrow evening, Anthony is inviting his group of high school friends over to study and so they can work on one of their projects together. Their final exams are next week. This is all new for us because our kids have always studied alone, especially Anthony. We also don't usually have the kids' friends over in the evening. We did stipulate that his friends have to leave by 10PM because they most certainly won't be quiet and we don't want to keep the younger kids up.
The kids are growing up and expanding their horizons. Patrick and I are also "stretching and growing" and getting used to the kids doing things they didn't used to do. We always prefer when their friends are here at our house anyway because then we know exactly where they are and what they're doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment