Thursday, September 16, 2010

A GT Reply

We got a reply back from the GT teacher at Natalie's school. She knows her students so well! She even remembers Anthony when he was first in her class back in 2002. I wanted to document this interchange because of what it says about Natalie, her teacher, and Patrick and I as parents. Below is her email reply to Patrick's first note:

The absolute hardest part of my job is telling the students I have worked with that we can't be together for a year. If it's ok with you, I would like to pull the kids, including Natalie, today for a little time together. Sometimes, testing does not reflect all a student knows, and I think this is one of those cases. Because I have worked with Natalie, I know that she is a bright problem solver, deep thinker and very capable high level learner. What I haven't figured out how to do is how to take the 'child' out of the testing! Sometimes they rush, get nervous, check out, wiggle, sleep, etc....!!! (I must say that Natalie seemed very on task during testing though) We give so many tests to get by this the best we can, but it doesn't always work. Please know that quite often the jump from 2nd to 3rd in GT is a tough one for kids - higher level testing and more stringent criteria. It is not uncommon for students who don't qualify in 3rd to re-qualify in 4th....and I will let the kids know that when I speak with them today. I will also stress the importance of hard work in 3rd - reading lots and playing lots of puzzles and brain stretcher games. Natalie is blessed with such brilliant and supportive parents who value education and I know that she has a very rich environment for learning. I will miss Natalie and having a L******* this year... though I will stay in touch with Natalie throughout the year. Please don't hesitate to ask for anything you think she needs that I might be able to help with, or if you want to go over the testing further, just let me know. Best - Michelle


The following is Patrick's email reply to Mrs. A. We wanted to make sure she knew that we were not upset about the results and that we thought highly of her as a teacher:

I am sure that Natalie will appreciate talking to you. Both Melanie and I have talked to her about it and let her know how much we love her. I know that she has a tendency to rush in tests and this has been a problem before. I know that she would like to test again next year. Do you test again in Spring or in Fall?

I am familiar with that jump from 2nd to 3rd. I believe that sometimes a disappointment like this helps a child strive to do better. We always try to turn things like this into positive learning experiences (at least in the long-term). As I recall, the NEISD rules are fairly strict and based entirely on testing. This keeps things "fair" but doesn't allow teacher experience to come into play.

Neither Melanie nor I are upset in any way about the results. We are disappointed for Natalie because we know how much she loves you and being in your class. I just hope to encourage her to work hard and be ready to take her time the next time she tests.


Mrs. A had one more reply about how the talk with Natalie went this morning. Natalie had already told me that she talked with Mrs. A and that she felt better about not being in GT this year:

My talk with Natalie this morning went well - she told me she was upset until she went swimming - then it was better !!!
She knows I still love her and she is welcome in this room anytime. Am trying to put something together for some of those high kids I won't have... stay tuned!
Thanks for your kind words - Michelle


Kids are pretty resilient. I just wanted to document this because I want to remember what an awesome teacher Mrs. A is and I want the kids to remember that too.

No comments: