Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Coming Home

This is the sight that has greeted me on my arrival from work for a couple of days in the last week or so. Eric is eating a popsicle. This usually means that he has successfully pooped in the potty. There was a time not too long ago when this seemed like such an unreachable goal. Patrick would offer Eric a popsicle if he would poop in the potty. Even though Eric wanted a popsicle, he would still poop in his pants. Now, even though he will still poop in his pants sometimes, he more consistently poops in the potty. He also wakes up with a dry diaper on many mornings. We're getting closer...

Today I was home only briefly before I had to go back out and take Anthony to his dentist appointment (just a checkup). Eric hasn't been greeting me at the garage door like he used to. He's usually preoccupied with some toys. When I came into the house, he called from the staircase, "Hi Mama! Do you want to see my lovely puzzle? I did it all by myself!" He cracked me up with his use of the word "lovely". Interestingly, there was another piece next to the completed puzzle. Eric told me it was an extra piece. Sure enough, there was a duplicate of one of the puzzle pieces, so this 48 piece puzzle had 49 pieces. I hope that doesn't mean that someone else was shorted a puzzle piece.

Eric has also had this recent obsession with building "skyscrapers". I think he loves just saying the word "skyscrapers". In any case, he wanted me to see the skyscraper that he built. The first one he showed me was shorter than him, but that one toppled when he tried to make it bigger. This is the revised version. He was so proud of his creation that he asked me to take a picture of it, along with him showing his muscles. Too cute!

Notice the messy game room in the background. Patrick and Alex have done a lot of cleaning and reorganizing in there, but the task is still so formidable that I don't want to do it, and Patrick is a bit burned out and hasn't done too much in the last week or so.

As long as he was in the picture-taking mood, I kept snapping away when he started doing this. I've talked with Patrick about trying to get Eric in some gymnastics classes. Patrick likes to point out that gymnastics classes will only encourage him to climb more things. Look at him though, he is a natural. Besides, who could resist that cheesy smile?

Natalie was the social butterfly today. She played at her friend M.E.'s house for a couple of hours this morning. M.E.'s family is going out of town on vacation early tomorrow and she won't be able to play with her for a week. In the afternoon, Natalie's friend L.L.'s mom invited Natalie to see the new Cars 2 movie with them and then she stayed over at his house for several hours to play. I didn't even see her until almost 7pm when we called her to come eat dinner so we could all go to Dollar Scoop Tuesday at Baskin-Robbins.

I wonder what sights and sounds will greet me when I get home from work tomorrow?

No comments: